Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Sharing Photo folders vanished in Sonoma 14.4.1

I have recently moved my contents from a Macbook Air running OSX 12.4 to a Macbook Pro running 14.4.1. I was quite surprised to see that the shared photo folders have vanished from the Photo 9.0 app. In the app setting the sharing tickbox CANNOT BE activated .. no matter what. Fortunately I have the shared folders on my IPhone and IPad .. but this omission is quite disturbing.

Is there any way to re-activate the shared folders ??

MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)

Posted on Apr 25, 2024 4:20 AM

3 replies

Apr 25, 2024 11:40 PM in response to stavros_hat

Are you using the same AppleID as before? Are you in the same country as before?

Are you connected to a fast and reliable Wi-Fi? On a Mac iCloud features our working best when connected to Wi-Fi, not an over a mobile hotspot. Make sure, that no third party security software or a firewall con block or intercept the access to Apple's cloud servers. Disable all antivirus software or firewalls.

if all is well, try to restart your Mac temporarily in Safe Mode. Safe mode will disable all third party system extensions and clear some caches. Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Can you now enable your shared albums? Then restart again in mode.

If you even cannot enable the shared albums in Safe Boot Mode, test in a different user account, that has not been migrated from your old Mac. if you do not have another clean account for testing, create another user account and check, if you can enable the shared albums there. if it is working in a different user account, you may have corrupted user preferences in your user library, transferred from your old Mac. Or a problem with the permissions in your home folder, that need repairing.

Apr 25, 2024 10:23 AM in response to stavros_hat

Change: missed your remark about the checkbox. So try this:

1 - as a test launch Photos with the Option key held down and create a new, test library.  Import some photos, make it your System Photos library and test to see if the same problem persists. Does it?

2 - close the test library and open your current library, make it you System Photos Library and try the check box again.

Sharing Photo folders vanished in Sonoma 14.4.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.