Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

I have an iPhone that I do not know the password to, how do I get back into it?

We had an old employee turn in their iPhone 14 when they were leaving, however we didn't get a chance to wipe it when they did. The phone got put on a shelf and now no one knows who it belonged to (since the sticky note fell off) and no one knows the passcode.

We tried guessing it but it appears to have sent the phone into recovery mode. Now whenever we turn it on it goes to a white screen that says "Swipe up to recover" at the bottom. In all my time setting up these company iPhones, I've never run into this problem before.

Any failed attempt to guess the passcode sends the phone into lockdown for a few hours at a time. We don't care about the data on the phone, so if that's lost then that's fine. We just need to be able to set this perfectly good iPhone up for the next employee that starts with us.

What are my options? Do I have to send it in to Apple? Your advice and assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 14

Posted on Apr 26, 2024 3:20 PM

2 replies

Apr 26, 2024 3:44 PM in response to User_Undefined1

Well, you can get past the passcode as instructed in this article…but you would need to know the Apple ID and password.

If you see a iPhone, iPad, or Apple Vision Pro unavailable message or Security Lockout screen - Apple Support

If you don’t know the Apple ID and password, assuming you haven’t used Automated Device Enrollment (which you should have used) …

Use Automated Device Enrollment - Apple Support

… the device is Activation Locked. See the last paragraph here.

How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support

I have an iPhone that I do not know the password to, how do I get back into it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.