screen failure on 24-inch-iMac, M1, 2021

Bought this device on Dec 2021, and today the screen shows many horizontal lines at the bottom of the screen and this is also a grey area showed up, which also blinks at a frequency ~2-5 seconds. This is very annoying and makes it unusable. Since I had many devices, e.g 2018 MacBook Pro 15, 2022 M2 MacBook Air, 2022 M2 Mac Mini, so did not use iMac like 7(days/week)*24(hours/day). There are many reports on this issues which can be found on iFixit and Youtube. I think it's a manufacturing or design issue, or just bad parts causing this problem. Had old iMac being used for >10 years and had no issues. Also other displays (Aoc, Dell, LG, Samsung) I have used (1-8 years) never had this kind of issues. Apple should investigate why this occurred and repair the faulty parts.

iMac 24″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 27, 2024 7:44 PM

10 replies

Apr 28, 2024 8:57 PM in response to LuciferYY

Well I understand and I have seen about 200 posts on these forums about it, I have no idea how many machines that represents however even if it's about 500-1000 machines that is a relatively small number in the grand scheme of things. It's definitely no fun when it's your machine and you don't have AppleCare though.

I suspect you represent a very small minority in that you only own your devices about 2-3 years, my current machine is 4+ years old (2020 27" iMac) and I plan on keeping it until as long as it can run current versions of Mac OS. That being said, your machine needs may be significantly more demanding than most so buying the latest and greatest may make a lot of sense. Even if you only own 2-3 years AppleCare may make sense for years 2 & 3, that being said obviously it's your decision and as I mentioned already this time your number just came up!

Apr 27, 2024 8:07 PM in response to LuciferYY

Answers that suggest rest SMC or NVRAM, please notice that Macs with Apple silicon no longer have these features.

Also have run Apple Diagnostics, by holding power button till Options screen shows up and then press Cmd+D till it goes into diagnostics. There it says no hardware issues being found.

Running sonoma 14.4.1 on this iMac and restarted several times, and the problem still exists. Also tried unplug all connected external devices except keyboard and mouse, still did not work.

Did not move this monitor for >1 year and also no other damage to this mac.

Apr 27, 2024 10:26 PM in response to LuciferYY

Assuming your purchased AppleCare (always a wise move) then it will be covered. I have been a long time Mac owner and have owned many of them, when I invest that much money in a computer I want the peace of mind that AppleCare offers. If you passed that up and it is a hardware issue then please consider this instance a lesson learned about self insuring. Most of the time it doesn't pay off, until that time you need it.

screen failure on 24-inch-iMac, M1, 2021

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.