Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Mac Studio 2023 HDMI to Dell Ultra sharp U2723QE monitor outputs 4K at 24 bit RGB

When I connect Mac Studio HDMI Output to Dell Ultra Sharp U2723QE 4K monitor the output is 24 bit RGB but on the other hand when I connect using USB-C to USB-C to the same monitor the output is 4K at 30 bit CMYK. Why this difference in output using HDMI 2.1?

Mac Studio, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 27, 2024 9:21 PM

4 replies

Apr 27, 2024 10:48 PM in response to DanprolV

From what I'm reading on third-party sites, M1-family Mac Studios have HDMI 2.0 ports, and M2-family Mac Studios have HDMI 2.1 ones. You say you have a "Mac Studio 2023" – so presumably it is one of the M2-family models that has a HDMI 2.1 port.

The Dell UltraSharp U2723QE manual says that it has a HDMI 2.0 port (page 15: "About Your Monitor").

It looks like with HDMI 2.0, for 4K displays, there is a tradeoff between

• Refresh rate
  • Bit depth
  • Chroma sub-sampling

To get 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 sub-sampling, you must give up either 50/60 Hz refresh rate, or 10-bit/channel color depth. 4:4:4 means that each pixel has its own color information. 4:2:2 means that you are forcing groups of two pixels to share the same color. 4:2:0 means that you are forcing groups of four pixels to share the same color. Or to put it another way, 4:2:2 and 4:2:0 would appear to reduce the effective resolution of the display.

https://www.extron.com/article/hdmi2faq

https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/products/backup-power-ups-surge-it-power-distribution/backup-power-ups-it-power-distribution-resources/cpdi-vertical-marketing/hdmi-explained.html

I would guess that because the U2723QE only supports HDMI 2.0, the Mac has chosen (60 Hz refresh rate + 4:4:4 chroma sub-sampling where each pixel has its own color) at the cost of 10-bit-per-channel color.

Apr 27, 2024 11:18 PM in response to DanprolV

You can certainly use a USB-C (DisplayPort) to DisplayPort adapter cable. Hopefully it will give you 4K resolution and 10-bit (per channel) color depth at 60 Hz. If you're getting that right now from a USB-C to USB-C connection, it follows that the Mac can output that over USB-C if the device (monitor or adapter) can accept it.

I'm not sure where "12 bit depth" is coming from. The monitor supports a color depth of 1.07 billion colors (page 14). 2^30 = 1,073,741,824 – so the reference is clearly to 10 bit (per channel) color depth.

Mac Studio 2023 HDMI to Dell Ultra sharp U2723QE monitor outputs 4K at 24 bit RGB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.