Nikon Z7 software incompatible with Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7?

Does anyone have a good way to get images from a Nikon Z7 ii into my iMac? The camera was a gift. The iMac is well-qualified, but still using Catalina - because in my decades of using Macs I have found they work better on the OS that was designed at the same time the hardware was built. The Nikon software doesn't seem to work, and even with Photoshop I can't seem to do a batch import! Feeling stupid...

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Apr 30, 2024 1:47 PM

2 replies

Apr 30, 2024 2:25 PM in response to Cone56

The Nikon Z7 is supported in Catalina, but not the Z7 ii, and the NEF Raw support is unique to each Nikon camera. Apple does not make later camera raw support retroactive, so your camera will never be supported in Catalina.

Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 13, iPadOS 13, and macOS Catalina - Apple Support

The Nikon Z7 ii is supported in macOS 11.7.10 (Big Sur) and later. You can upgrade your iMac to Big Sur if is one of the supported models via How to download and install macOS - Apple Support using Safari. Have a last Time Machine backup and verify that your printer/scanner vendor has drivers compatible with Big Sur. Adobe apps should already support that Z7 ii model in their camera RAW support.

You would then use Apple's Image Capture with the USB-connected camera to transfer images to your Mac. These images will bear a creation date from the EXIF data DateTimeOriginal time stamp. Just dragging the images from your camera to macOS won't do that.

Apr 30, 2024 2:53 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you; I was starting to get to similar thoughts... And remain terrified about big OS changes! I will probably actually pay the money at an Apple store to get their help. My printer is from 2010 and is a stalwart Xerox color laser with real Postscript 3 from Adobe. It just WORKS. I do not care that it does not have WiFi! Love that thing; when it dies I will be distraught indeed. The iMac can surely handle a newer OS; it is I who have the hangup about it! Your knowledge and response are well appreciated!

Nikon Z7 software incompatible with Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.