Unable to fully sign in to Apple ID on new Macbook Air

I have a new MacBook Air 2024 M3. Every time I try to sign via the System Settings > Sign In, it resets. I enter my apple ID username and hit enter, then it asks for my password which I enter, then it spins for a moment and resets to asking for my apple ID username again.

Interestingly, when I go to appleid.apple.com, it shows this macbook air as a device connected to my apple ID. When I "forget device" through appleid.apple.com and try the same method of signing in, it still won't sign in on the computer but shows up again as a device logged in under my list of devices.

When I try to add an iCloud account under System Settings > Internet Accounts, the same thing happens. I click iCloud, plug in my info, and then it resets to asking me which type of account I'm logging in to.

MacBook Air (M3, 2024)

Posted on May 1, 2024 5:18 AM

2 replies

May 1, 2024 8:08 AM in response to davidmjulian

Try and boot the Mac in the safe mode to login via there

Start up your Mac with Apple silicon in safe mode

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > Shut Down.
  2. Wait for your Mac to shut down completely. A Mac is completely shut down when the screen is black and any lights (including in the Touch Bar) are off.
  3. Press and hold the power button on your Mac until “Loading startup options” appears.
  4. Select a volume.
  5. Press and hold the Shift key, then click Continue in Safe Mode.
  6. The computer restarts automatically. When the login window appears, you should see “Safe Boot” in the menu bar.

Unable to fully sign in to Apple ID on new Macbook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.