Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Preview does not save annotations

PDF files: Preview seems to be loosing most of the annotations, and shows after saving just a subset of them. I started investigating. First of all, , I can see them all in the Inspector, below is just a preview of what is there:

but when I save the file, and open it again, most of the annotations are gone. BTW, I have full permissions for the file:

Interestingly, after saving of the PDF the Inspector still shows ALL of the annotations in its own window, however, they are missing in the actual PDF window.

Hence, it seems that the annotations are still somewhere saved in the file, however, for some reason they are not displayed in the actual document.

I must say that I have very many annotations, added text, highlights, arrows, etc,. etc.

This is extremely annoying, can anybody help, please?

Lev

iMac 21.5″

Posted on May 1, 2024 8:17 AM

9 replies

May 7, 2024 6:56 AM in response to ucaplek

"Linux stuff" can only interfere if it is actively in memory and running.

Consider downloading and running this little "discovery" utility, Etrecheck. It changes NOTHING. Etrecheck was developed by senior contributor here, and uses system calls to collect often-needed information.

it contains little tests for speeds of devices, CPU utilization, memory usage, energy usage and a digest of recent problems, in one easy to use package. it does not even need to be Installed. Because less can be learned when your Mac is running great, best time to run is when your problems are actually occurring, if possible.

if you follow the directions faithfully, its report (pre-laundered of all personally-identifiable information) can be "Shared" to the system ClipBoard, then Pasted into an ‘Additional Text’ window in a reply on the forums.

How to use Etrecheck pro for free

http://etrecheck.com

May 1, 2024 9:14 AM in response to ucaplek

I find using Preview less annoying and FAR easier to track when I hold the Option key while selecting 'Save AS' from the File menu. I give each modified version a unique name.

Then there is no confusion about whether what is stored and what I am viewing is the currently-saved version, the yet to be saved version, the marked up this way or that way version.

May 1, 2024 1:46 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

the annotations are not visible although they are present, all of them, in the Inspector window. May be it is only the fact that they were present is recorded in the Inspector but not the annotations as such. Basically, when you save the file and quit and open it again, you see only may be 10% of them. If you do just a few annotations, you may have all of them, but if you do a lot of them (as I do), then most of them disappear.

This problem has been around for a very long time, may be 5 years back and is still not resolved/fixed by Apple. But may be there is a fix since the Inspector shows that they are there, but I cannot find hoe to make them visible. The only fix I found is to export the file into pdf. Then all annotations are kept but you cannot edit them and the Inspector becomes empty, so the annotations become the essence of the new pdf file, they are not something written "on top" anymore as when you write them.

May 1, 2024 2:20 PM in response to ucaplek

what version MacOS is this?

• does the same issue happen if you boot into Safe mode, annotate the file, save the changes and quit (same as we have been talking about) ? (This eliminates conflicts with third-party add-ons. )

• does the same issue happen if you create NEW, never-been used Userid, open annotate and save a file in that Userid? (this eliminates festering settings problems carried along in your main userid over many macOS versions)

May 2, 2024 10:00 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks, Grant, for trying to help :)

My version is 11.7.10 Big Sur. It is a bit difficult for me to update the system actually as I have a lot of things which may not work and it takes a lot of time to update everything (I have a lot of stuff from Linux). But I also have another Mac with the latest system, I will try to play with it to see if the problem persists.

OK, I have not tried your two suggestions, the one with the Safe mode is interesting , I'll try! With a new user ID, that I'll also try. Give me a bit of time and thanks for suggestions.

What happens with annotations: as I said, out of like 50 of them I can only see may be 5-10 when I open the file again. However, the Inspector shows ALL 50.

May 7, 2024 3:57 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I tried to do the same on a different Mac I have and it worked, i.e. the many annotations I made were all saved correctly. This tells me that there is some incompatibility with the other software (mostly, Linux I suppose) although the other Mac also have a lot of Linux stuff.

In this sense I'd need an advise as to how to detect which other app (if any) may affect the work of Preview and how to find this out?

May 7, 2024 4:31 AM in response to ucaplek

I tried to do the same on a different Mac I have and it worked, i.e. the many annotations I made were all saved correctly. This tells me that there is some incompatibility with the other software (mostly, Linux I suppose) although the other Mac also has a lot of Linux stuff.

In this sense I'd need an advise as to how to detect which other app (if any) may affect the work of Preview and how to find this out?

Or may be it is not Linux stuff, but something else? But the other Mac was set up exactly in the same way as my main Mac. The only difference is the OS, the Mac on which I have a problem has OS 11.7.10 (Big Sur) and the other one where it worked is 14.3.1 (Sonoma). It is possible that the problem was fixed in that new release and the one before that, I do not know, I have been having this problem over a very long time. It would actually be nice to know IF there WAS actually a problem which WAS fixed, or it is just me and my Mac.

Preview does not save annotations

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.