Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

SMS Texting & WIFI Calling

There is no Cell Service at my home. I use Starlink and WiFi Calling to communicate on my phone when home.

Why can’t I text my friend’s who have Samsung or non-Apple phones? Do I have to switch to a ‘Non-Locked’ (Non-Apple/ Non-Arrogant) service to have these friends? I am very close to dropping Apple. I think it is emblematic of a broader problem.

iPhone 6, iOS 10

Posted on May 1, 2024 8:54 AM

2 replies

May 1, 2024 9:30 AM in response to TuckerFeedback

TuckerFeedback wrote:

There is no Cell Service at my home. I use Starlink and WiFi Calling to communicate on my phone when home.
Why can’t I text my friend’s who have Samsung or non-Apple phones? Do I have to switch to a ‘Non-Locked’ (Non-Apple/ Non-Arrogant) service to have these friends? I am very close to dropping Apple. I think it is emblematic of a broader problem.

You can go with an Android if you choose, but you're going to run into the same issue since you have no cellular service to send text message.

You should drop your cellular data provider.

If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

May 1, 2024 9:47 AM in response to TuckerFeedback

SMS texting is a cellular service, requiring the proximity of a cell tower that associates with your mobile service provider.

For texting over the internet, you would have to use some app that supports a different protocol. Apple uses iMessage (between Apple devices, with regular SMS as fallback for incompatible devices), WhatsApp uses WhatsApp messaging. Telegram, Signal, Kik, BiP, etc. are other options. Find some service that you and your peers are all willing to use. [Samsung phones have Android Messages, for online texting as well as cellular, but I believe the receiver would also need to have that same app for the online use.]

For WiFi Calling, many of these same apps can be used among various platforms. Also see: Talkatone, Google Duo, Skype, TextNow, Text Free. Some are US & Canada-only, but that may suffice for some users.

SMS Texting & WIFI Calling

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.