Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

How to recover unsaved pages document

I was working on a pages document that had already been saved before. When I went to save my new work, I accidentally hit "close" insead of "save" and lost about 3 hours of work I have done. Does the hard drive auto-save or store this somewhere even though I didn't save it? Is there any way I can get all my work back? I'd be super grateful if someone could help me.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.4

Posted on May 4, 2024 9:29 AM

3 replies

May 4, 2024 9:51 AM in response to maggiefidget22

If you really had manually saved that Pages document beforehand, then Pages autosave would be saving your document about every 5 - 10 seconds if there were changes to the document. If you closed the document, the last changes would be in the document. If you had not manually saved the document once, then autosave would not be enabled, and closing the document would be a finality of lost work.

Some non-Apple cloud services and filesystems do not support Apple's autosave feature and it would present a dialog to that effect.

You should be using an external Time Machine backup that runs every hour. It is the preferred means to retrieve Pages documents that were saved at least once. Without Time Machine, you might try opening the document and from the File menu > Revert To > Browse all versions. Then use the arrow keys to go back in time until you (might) see your lost work. Then restore.

May 4, 2024 10:15 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you so much for trying to help me. So basically, this is what happened: I worked on it yesterday and saved before I went to bed. This morning, I worked on it again, and then accidentally closed instead of saved. Is that what you mean why you say "manual"--as in, that's what I did last night when I saved it? I tried to go into "file," as you suggested, but didn't see "revert to." How do I find that?

How to recover unsaved pages document

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.