Time Machine only duplicates first backup

Hi all -

MacBook Pro 2021, Apple M1 Max running Sonoma 14.4 with an external drive - brand new Lacie 5TB mobile drive plugged in USB-C to USB-C.

I set up Time Machine on the Lacie Drive. Everything runs normally. The drive backs up my computer. Days pass, work continues. The drive continues to back up my computer... only the iterations are all the same. No changes I've made in the passing days are made. It's only that first back up, over, and over again.

Any help would be much appreciated, as I need my backups to keep up with my workflow and changes in case something happens.

Thanks all!

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.1

Posted on May 6, 2024 7:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2024 6:28 AM

No, that is not a good way to decide. You can NOT just go look at Time Machine drive hourly folders with Finder and learn ANYTHING.

Time machine uses an initial Full backup, followed by numerous additional incremental backups, to build a complex database. You can not learn anything by examining individual Backup folders performed on a given date&time. Because of its constructed database, TimeMachine.APP (not to be confused with time machine Control panel) can reconstruct the contents of any folder on your Mac as of any date its still retains.

--------

The way you tell what is saved is to use Finder to navigate to the CURRENT "live" folder in question, NOT the one on the backup drive.. Sounds like "Art" in this case. Launch Time machine.APP. You will get a view of that folder as of the most recent backup TODAY, at the top of a STACK of folders as of previous dates, receding back in time. Looks like this older screen:

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2024 6:28 AM in response to estokescreative

No, that is not a good way to decide. You can NOT just go look at Time Machine drive hourly folders with Finder and learn ANYTHING.

Time machine uses an initial Full backup, followed by numerous additional incremental backups, to build a complex database. You can not learn anything by examining individual Backup folders performed on a given date&time. Because of its constructed database, TimeMachine.APP (not to be confused with time machine Control panel) can reconstruct the contents of any folder on your Mac as of any date its still retains.

--------

The way you tell what is saved is to use Finder to navigate to the CURRENT "live" folder in question, NOT the one on the backup drive.. Sounds like "Art" in this case. Launch Time machine.APP. You will get a view of that folder as of the most recent backup TODAY, at the top of a STACK of folders as of previous dates, receding back in time. Looks like this older screen:

May 6, 2024 9:02 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hi thanks so much for trying to help! Here is an example of what I'm dealing with -

For my first time machine backup, there is a folder called "Art" on my Desktop. Nothing is in it.

Days later, I complete a painting, and save it to the "Art" folder.

Now, in the most recent Time Machine backup that "Art" folder from my Desktop is still empty. It is exactly the same as the first backup. This is when I started digging, and found that nothing I'd worked on since that initial upload has been updated/saved.

Does that help clarify??

May 7, 2024 10:03 AM in response to estokescreative

Thank you so much all! Grant you were totally right, the issue was I was looking just in the normal FINDER window and not using the app itself. (Which had always been just fine in the past - so, force of habit I guess) But I'm so happy to know the issue was just me being a dumb bunny rather than something ACTUALLY being wrong with the computer! Again, thank you all for your help!

Time Machine only duplicates first backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.