Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Erased HD and OS inadvertantly

I was running macOS Monterey version 12.7.4 on an iMac Late 2015 model. I wanted to prep the computer for resale and remove all personal data from the computer and used Disk Utility to erase the HD not knowing it would also delete the operating system. I've rebooted in Recovery Mode and tried to Reinstall macOS but I keep getting an error message, "An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again." After erasing the HD again and retrying three times, it's the same song and dance. Is there any hope on getting an OS back on this computer?

Earlier Mac models

Posted on May 7, 2024 6:21 PM

10 replies

May 7, 2024 11:48 PM in response to MrHoffman

I started from the beginning and did a recovery reboot doing Option-Command-R and it allowed me to restore to the latest OS system that I could and after two hours, this worked! I found an article that there is a bug with restoring from OS Sierra which is what the issue was. I was able to bypass that OS to a later one and got it reinstalled.

Erased HD and OS inadvertantly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.