Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iPhone 15 Pro Max camera won't focus to read barcodes

Hello, I've never had an iPhone before, but I decided to try it out because I've had many problems with Android. I bought the iPhone 15 Pro Max about 2 months ago, and my wife also upgraded her iPhone 11 to the 15 Pro Max. However, both of us are experiencing the same issue: the camera doesn't switch to the macro lens when we get close to scan barcodes. As a result, we have to enter numbers manually (which is super annoying, time-consuming, and prone to errors).

This never happened on Android, nor on her iPhone 11, and my godfather has the iPhone 14, and he doesn't experience this issue either. It seems to be only with the iPhone 15 Pro Max (probably because it has more cameras). For example, with restaurant apps here in Brazil, we scan the receipt at the end to get cashback, but it NEVER works. We always have to enter it manually because it won't focus, and the same thing happens at supermarkets. This is causing us to waste a lot of time every day.

The same issue happens with banking apps; they ask us to take a selfie for validation and then scan the front and back of a document. However, it's IMPOSSIBLE. We send the photo of the document, it goes for validation, and EVERY time it's rejected because it's illegible, unreadable. We don't know what else to do!

How can we fix this?

iPhone 15 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on May 8, 2024 5:56 AM

3 replies

iPhone 15 Pro Max camera won't focus to read barcodes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.