Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Need a Strategy for Transferring Songs and Photos to Children

I am the grandfather and guardian of two children, 7 and 9. Their mother passed away recently leaving a substantial number of paid-for iTunes songs, family photographs and other content on her iDevices. I have access and control of her account and its content.

I would like to transfer this material to the kids, but I know I cannot just move it to them because they are minors. My wife and I both have Apple IDs/accounts, but neither of us want to merge any of these photos or music into our accounts.

How can we best preserve this stuff for them? I don't think I can set up another Apple ID, but that would be the answer if I can.

iPad Air (3rd generation)

Posted on May 8, 2024 7:22 AM

5 replies

May 8, 2024 7:37 AM in response to Richard Setterberg

It's not possible to transfer purchased content from one account to another. What you should do is change the email account on your late daughter's account to an email address that you control. Then, you should set up Familiy Sharing. Family Sharing will allow you to set up child accounts for the children, use purchased content from the original account and still maintain control over what they can access.

Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

Need a Strategy for Transferring Songs and Photos to Children

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.