How to set up mac mini using my old iMac as display?

I just purchased a Mac Mini and am interested in learning the steps and maybe even additional equipment needed? The set up may help me navigate but I wanted to ask here first.

• I have my backups in TimeMachine.
  • My iMac is late 2013 (running Catalina) and functions as well as could be expected. I plan to use this as my Mac Mini display.
  • Should I connect the new Mini to my iMac first, to transfer all my programs, files and data?
  • Once everything is transferred to tie Mini, how can i change the iMac setting to be "display only"?

I suspect this is easier than I'm making it, but again wanted to ask here before I unbox and get i the weeds of this transfer.

Thank you!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 11, 2024 2:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2024 2:57 PM

1) The new Mac mini does not support using your iMac as a display.

see > Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

2) You will need an aftermarket external Display or (an HDMI TV in a pinch) for the new Mac mini.

see > Connect a display to Mac mini - Apple Support

3) The fastest and most reliable way to move you data, is to plug your iMac’s Time Machine backup into the Mac mini and Migrate from it.

see > Transfer to a new Mac with Migration Assistant - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2024 2:57 PM in response to pedal_pusher

1) The new Mac mini does not support using your iMac as a display.

see > Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

2) You will need an aftermarket external Display or (an HDMI TV in a pinch) for the new Mac mini.

see > Connect a display to Mac mini - Apple Support

3) The fastest and most reliable way to move you data, is to plug your iMac’s Time Machine backup into the Mac mini and Migrate from it.

see > Transfer to a new Mac with Migration Assistant - Apple Support

How to set up mac mini using my old iMac as display?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.