I always get "Cannot Connect" when adding music to my library on Mac

I always get this error when I'm adding music to my Apple Music library on Mac, but I can do it on my iPad without any problem. What could be going wrong? Both of them are running the latest software.

Posted on May 12, 2024 8:59 PM

5 replies

May 24, 2024 10:24 PM in response to whooshingaroo

After hundreds of tries, it appears the cause of this error was that I didn't accept the latest terms and conditions, and for some reason the window to let you read terms and conditions didn't show up. I did a few things that may help to bring it up.

1. Turn off "Sync Library" in Music Settings.
  2. Sign out in the Music app and quit it.
  3. Delete music library files in your home folder, usually in ~/Music/Music.
  4. Open Music app again. You should see something like "Try Apple Music for free". Click that big red banner.
  5. Sign in with your Apple ID. The following dialog should show up. Accept the new terms and conditions. You should now be able to add music to your library.

If it doesn't work, try step 1-3 in different orders until the dialog shows up. Also try clicking "Try It Free" before signing in. It will say "You are already an Apple Music member" but it doesn't matter.

If you are experiencing the same problem, try out these steps. It might be because of the terms and conditions. Apple has made a lot of confusion here for the vague error message.

May 24, 2024 10:11 PM in response to whooshingaroo

whooshingaroo Said:

"I always get "Cannot Connect" when adding music to my library on Mac: I always get this error when I'm adding music to my Apple Music library on Mac, but I can do it on my iPad without any problem. What could be going wrong? Both of them are running the latest software."

-------

Thank you for the screenshot.

Report this as an Update Bug to Apple:

Do your Part: Inform Apple of your feedback of this issue. Include how you’ve troubleshot this, and your results. Apple wont get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive from its users, the more likely they will know what needs to be fixed, and what their customers prefer in updates, and future macOS versions to come. Apple will know nothing of your issue, if you don't report it to them.

1. Go Here: Feedback - macOS - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Select: "Software/Firmware Update" for the "Feedback Area"
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

May 20, 2024 10:10 PM in response to whooshingaroo

I’ve read a lot and tried all these steps, nothing helped:

Apple Music cannot connect - Apple Community

If you can't connect to the App Store, iTunes Store, or other Apple services - Apple Support

apple music cannot connect - Apple Community

If you have problems playing music on Mac - Apple Support

Apple Music Can’t Connect - Apple Community

Apparently it’s not a playback issue and I don’t have a family subscription. I’m able to listen to Apple Music and add songs to my library on my iPad or the web player without any problem. I updated macOS. I even tried signing out and back in, deleting the music library folder, authorizing and deauthorizing the computer, and turning library sync off and on, but the problem persists.

I always get "Cannot Connect" when adding music to my library on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.