Connecting iPad with iMac not happening

iPad Air 2 15.8.2 will not connect with iMac 24" M3 using: 1) Bluetooth, 2) USB-C to Lightning, or 3) USB to Lightning via Hub adapter. Message on iPad after Bluetooth search: “iMac is not supported”. The iPad is not showing up at all on iMac "Nearby Devices" although neighbours devices appear. Bluetooth is on for both iMac and iPad. I'm surprised this is failing with a brand new Mac. Please help. Thank you.

iMac 24″, macOS 14.4

Posted on May 18, 2024 11:31 AM

6 replies

May 25, 2024 7:18 AM in response to Apple_cider999

Just letting everyone know I've now resolved this after chatting to an Apple Support agent who was incredibly patient.

Yes, it's now done with the magic of AirDrop. More complicated than just being able to drag and drop but it works perfectly. I'm now able to copy files, pix & movies from an iMac to iPad Air 2 by clicking on the file in Finder and using the AirDrop from the dropdown menu under Go.

Important: first have to ensure AirDrop settings on both devices are set to Everyone (turn off once done).

Then drag file to the AirDrop window that appears.

I also learnt that the USB-C to Lightning cable does not transmit data - it only allows you to sync.

Connecting iPad with iMac not happening

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.