Box with cross in Pages cannot be removed

I've read that this is overflowing text from a text box easily removed by deleting at the box's edge. In my case I didn't insert a text box and can't locate any edges if there is one. The presence of this box with cross is interfering with everything else on the page, so I can't ignore it. When I look at the View menu there is no way to show a box that might be there. I'm on Sonoma 14.4 with the newest Pages.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.4

Posted on May 20, 2024 3:02 PM

8 replies

May 21, 2024 6:01 AM in response to agustinamac

In Pages, whether Text box or Shape, it can have an overflow ⊞ indicator displayed for content that exceeds the viewable object boundary. There is nothing to prevent either type of box with a transparent background and white text from appearing as the following in Pages v14 on macOS Sonoma 14.5:

The white that you see is the Pages document background. If I click directly above that ⊞ symbol, the hidden box becomes selected. Then one can drag downward or one of the grips to alter its shape and that symbol would eventually disappear if not too much text is contained.

May 21, 2024 12:19 PM in response to VikingOSX

The text you see is the main document, not inside a box? I can produce the white tall rectable by clicking around the box-with-cross but that doesn't have text inside of it. But anyway I have pressed Cmd+Z and nothing happens. Before I asked here I tried many times to see this with Show Layout but nothing shows. Show Invisible the same. I attach a picture of the document with the text in its normal place. The only visible sign is the vertical grey line on the right-hand side. Clicking around this opens the tall white rectangle in a different place. Hiding the layout doesn't hide this grey line. If there is text in a footer how do I get to the footer?

Box with cross in Pages cannot be removed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.