Another old device and apps question

I have an iPad Air a 1475 and it's updated to 12.5.7. I do not have another Apple device and just created a new Apple ID in order to use my old iPad. How do I download older versions of apps? I have most of the apps I want downloaded already but they are linked to a different Apple ID and I cannot open them or update them and I do not have access to the old Apple ID

iPad Air 2

Posted on May 21, 2024 7:48 PM

2 replies

May 22, 2024 2:23 AM in response to cheshirebean

All Apps purchased and downloaded from the App Store, including "free" Apps, are digitally signed and permanently associated with the AppleID account from which they were purchased - and are "licensed" to that AppleID. Each AppleID is effectively a different end-user.

Apps themselves cannot be transferred between devices or different AppleIDs - and neither can the ownership of licensed software be transferred to a different AppleID. This measure intentionally inhibits unauthorised sharing of purchased content between users.

You might consider using Family Sharing - allowing you to where selectively share purchased Apps, subscriptions and Apple services with your new AppleID. However, to do so, you must be able to access to the original AppleID associated with the already purchased content.

Family Sharing - Apple

Set up Family Sharing – Apple Support

Share App Store, iTunes Store and Apple Books purchases with Family Sharing – Apple Support

How to create a new Apple ID – Apple Support

https://www.imore.com/how-set-up-family-sharing-iphone-ipad

If your original AppleID credentials have been forgotten, they can be recovered here:

https://iforgot.apple.com

To recover your credentials, you’ll need access to one of the following:

• Your primary email address mailbox that corresponds with your AppleID
  • Any of the secondary/recovery email addresses that should be configured for your AppleID account
  • Any of the trusted telephone numbers (fixed line or Cellular/Mobile) that are associated with your AppleID

More information about recovery of your AppleID and associated Password:

If you forgot your Apple ID - Apple Support

If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

Another old device and apps question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.