brand new Ipad pro m4 freeze and crashing

Ipad pro 13” M4 1TB , called Apple and go to center Apple and no hardware problem in diagnosis , but this happening to me , freeze and crashing costantly when i use , Apple TV app scrolling video in horizontal and vertical position , when i use Maps only when is horizontal position , when I see photo in gallery , when I open the app warzone mobile , the iPad freeze , crash and restart, i look the error in the data and analisys section in iPad and put the strings of panicfull crash error in ai for help me and this is what they tell me this:

The crash log you provided contains detailed information about a panic event on your iPad. Let's analyze some key points in the log to understand what might be causing the crashes:

1. Type of Bug and Timestamp:

- Type of Bug: 210

- Timestamp: 2024-05-21 18:05:22.00 +0200

2. Operating System and Device Information:

- OS Version: iPhone OS 17.5.1 (21F90)

- Product: iPad16.5

- SoC ID: 8132

- SoC Revision: 11

3. Kernel Information:

- Kernel Version: Darwin Kernel Version 23.5.0

- Panic String:

4. RTKit Information:

- RTKit Version: RTKit-2419.120.45.release

- Client: local-t8132dcp.RELEASE

- UUID: 00434452-ce83-30f6-8dd0-a55c1b54b684

5. Exception and Stack Frame of the Task in Fault:

- Exception Class: 0x1c (Unknown)

- PC (Program Counter): 0x0000072d974b18

- ISS (Instruction Specific Syndrome): 0x1

The critical part of the log is the panic string:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xfffffe003ee8d888): DCP crash of unknown type 0x9 pc=0x0000072d974b18 Exception class=0x1c (Unknown), IL=1, iss=0x1 far=000000000000000000 - iomfb_mailbox(77)

This indicates a crash related to the Display Co-Processor (DCP) with an unknown error type (0x9). The DCP is responsible for handling display-related activities, and a crash here suggests a problem with the display subsystem. The presence of iomfb_mailbox suggests a problem with inter-module communication related to the framebuffer.

Posted on May 22, 2024 1:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2024 11:01 PM

I have never had my M4 freeze or crash on me while I use it. It does hard crash when in sleep and several times per day. I contacted Apple and the diagnostics they ran didn’t find anything wrong but it definitely seems like a software and hardware issue.

Since it is so new, I suspect a lot more reports will crop up over time.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2024 11:01 PM in response to xLAMPOGAMMAx

I have never had my M4 freeze or crash on me while I use it. It does hard crash when in sleep and several times per day. I contacted Apple and the diagnostics they ran didn’t find anything wrong but it definitely seems like a software and hardware issue.

Since it is so new, I suspect a lot more reports will crop up over time.

Jun 8, 2024 6:02 AM in response to xLAMPOGAMMAx

My iPad Pro M4, overheating very easily sometimes from the 1st day of using it and in some games like genshin impact my fps are set at 120 meanwhile, after sometime (3mins) feels like 60fps and the ipad is not even warm then im going into the settings to put back 120fps so i can still have very good experience.

And on the game called wuthering waves it has a weird glitch and the screen is rotating without touching the or moving the device meanwhile i have turn off screen rotation hoping to stop.

I need to know if it software problem or hardware so i can return it, please if anyone have the same issues please contact with me.

May 27, 2024 8:47 PM in response to IpadProArtist

Not sure if it will help your situation but have you done the latest updated or Clip Studio Paint to see if you notice any improvement? I think that update was released today. Nothing new for ProCreate yet and I don’t know anything about the last app you listed. Worst case scenario is that the update changes nothing but won’t hurt for you to try it.

Jun 1, 2024 11:01 AM in response to xLAMPOGAMMAx

13" 1TB 2024 Pro. Had mine for a bit less than 2 weeks and it crashed twice already. When this happens the screen flickers, doesn't respond to touch. It goes on and off when pressing the power button or opening/closing the cover.

Holding the power and the volume up button to force a restart doesn't seem to work but in both cases, it eventually rebooted and was functioning normally after that. The app used when it crashed was different on both occasions.

May 27, 2024 8:57 PM in response to KaeBFly

Thank you. I double checked at the time after it crashed twice today and I was up to date. I noted for the team that turning off the Hover feature fixed the issue, until I rebooted, then the issue was back.

Then I rebooted in front of them and Hover had turned itself back on by itself. Even the manager stated, “That’s not supposed to do that.”

We also tried two different Pens (one from their displays in store), two different iPad Pros and I tried removing my screen protector to see if that was the issue.

I also tried it plugged in, unplugged, and with and without the keyboard.

The only thing that altered anything was turning Hover off.

Finally, the other issue was that in PixSquare whenever the linetook failed, it would even lock my hand out of using the screen. I could reengage the screen by double tapping my pen.

When the line tool failed in Clip Studio and Procreate, it didn’t have the same effect. The line just cut off at the first point. Making only a dot.

Jun 1, 2024 7:13 PM in response to xLAMPOGAMMAx

Also reporting my device becoming unresponsive. My use case is in Safari.

The device will just completely freeze and not respond to input from either screen or on the Magic Keyboard. I would just have to wait until it corrects itself which can take 15-30 seconds. I’m guessing for the springboard to refresh and throw me onto the lock-screen. It's annoying because it will happen back to back and then be good for a few hours and then get hang up again. My device was set up as new since day one.

I have the base 13in pro m4

May 27, 2024 6:42 PM in response to xLAMPOGAMMAx

I did some digging on my end too and it does seem to be a hardware fault so I will initiate an exchange. I spent a good amount of time ruling out it wasn't software related. (It was also a good excuse for me to clean up the apps I have had around for years and never use anymore.)

I did a full factory reset, didn't restore a backup, only signed into my iCloud account and the wake from sleep issues keep happening.

Similar to the OP, in my case the display controller tries to turn on the display, sends power to it through the rails and doesn't get a response so just kernel panics.

May 22, 2024 1:07 AM in response to xLAMPOGAMMAx

If you are concerned that your new iPad Pro M4 has a hardware fault, you would be best advised to return it to the retailer from which it was purchased.

If purchased directly from Apple, in most countries/regions, you have 14-days to unconditionally return an undamaged device for exchange or refund. Other retailers may have different return policies.

May 24, 2024 4:40 PM in response to MavisDraculasIphone

MavisDraculasIphone wrote:

It’s a wide spread issue. I may return mine. It happens too frequently

If this was a widespread issue, this forum would likely be flooded with similar reports. As you may note, the problem reported here by the OP does not meet this criteria.

While some issues might be reasonably anticipated following release of any new device, these are likely to be resolved within weeks by way of a software update.

May 27, 2024 3:25 PM in response to IpadProArtist

IpadProArtist wrote:

Here to add to the number of users having crashing. Never had this with my M1. Not one time, since it’s release.

Will be returning my M4 today. Thanks.

Also, the Apple Pro Pen doesn’t work properly with the Line tool in several art apps if hover is active. You know, one of the main features of the new pen?

Extremely disappointing.

You are of course able to return any Apple product within the initial 14 day window. However, I notice you avoid naming the apps which don’t work as you would like with the new pencil, which means nobody can check whether the failures are due to non implemented support in the individual apps (we know this is the case at least with updates still in the works from the popular app Procreate).

Personally I have not noticed any significant problems (and zero crashes) with my M4 iPad or Pencil Pro, so I suspect most issues are more likely to be individual apps which have still to add full support and a version upgrade.

Jun 8, 2024 3:07 PM in response to AlexanderMichai

I can’t say for certain but the best way to determine if it is a software issue is to first download all of the latest updates, then check with the Genshin Reddit to see if anyone else is having the same issues.

To rule out hardware issues you would need to try it out on another iPad of the same model and specs. That or you may be able to trade in your iPad in case it is somehow an issue with your device specifically.

Jun 11, 2024 3:20 PM in response to IpadProArtist

Hello i got many issues with genshin impact and i tried on 2 different iOS versions. First starting playing with maxed all and 120fps and is 120fps for just like 30 seconds and without warming up or fighting the fps drop at 60 and i have to got into settings and put 60fps and then 120fps then for a while is good and then again same thing back to 60 meanwhile is set on 120.And even tried at lowest of lowest graphics but still the same the ipad did not get warm and it was keeping switching the fps alone.

brand new Ipad pro m4 freeze and crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.