Face ID not working with rimless glasses

so I have several pairs of glasses and I have never had a problem using my Face ID while wearing glasses. However, I just got my first pair of completely rimless glasses and face ID not only will not recognize my face, but when I tried to add a new face ID, acted like it just didn’t see my face until I took the glasses off. i’m wondering if anybody else has encountered this issue and if anybody has a fix. I don’t wanna have to take my glasses off every time I need to use the Face ID.

iPhone 14 Plus, iOS 17

Posted on May 22, 2024 5:51 AM

1 reply

May 22, 2024 6:05 AM in response to jodene1023

Face ID uses infrared cameras and a depth sensor, which operate outside the visible light spectrum that your glasses affect. So, regardless of thickness, the lenses shouldn't be directly blocking the information Face ID needs.

Face ID scans your entire face, not just your eyes. The thickness of the lenses at the bridge of your nose wouldn't significantly impact the overall facial recognition process.

Delete your current Face ID data and set it up again. This time, include a scan of your face while wearing your rimless glasses. You can add up to four different appearances to Face ID, so you can also add a scan without your glasses for additional convenience  Apple Support Communities.

Face ID not working with rimless glasses

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.