Newsroom Update

This fall, AirPods software updates will transform the way users respond to Siri, take calls, and immerse themselves in their favorite games. Learn more >

I think my airpods pro 2 are fake

Today I got refurbished airpods from Amazon, but I think they are fake. First of all, some of the case sounds aren't there and sound slightly out of tune; the pairing sound is a bit out of tune and there's no sound when charging them. Secondly, many features don't work properly or aren't visible at all. The clicking sound when pinching them sounds off, it takes an abnormally long time to switch to anc/transparency, and the case has no MagSafe to charge with my Apple watch charger. the spatial audio setting on the volume slider isn't there at all, and I don't have the adaptive audio option either. I have a fully updated iPhone 14 so I know it's not an update issue. I cant use find my with the case speakers either.

I know these are good giveaways that they are fake, but I just want to be 100% sure

AirPods Pro (2nd generation)

Posted on May 22, 2024 5:16 PM

5 replies

May 22, 2024 6:32 PM in response to Zedairder

Zedairder wrote:

But there’s still a chance the counterfeiters won’t do this and the serial number isn’t real. -.-

If the serial number is unlisted, then the candidate AirPods are probably fake, yes.

But a listed serial number only indicates that one AirPods is real, while zero or more copies of that serial number are fake.

Which makes the serial number less than reliable for detecting counterfeits.

See the reply by ari889 here, as a recent example of a counterfeit with a “valid” serial number:

Outside of authorized resellers, expect to find counterfeits available, and expect to find counterfeits from online sales across all of the major online sales platforms.

Some background on counterfeits from Adam Savage’s Tested:

May 22, 2024 5:24 PM in response to Daniel_Denial

Everything points to them being fake. There is no doubt that Amazon is flooded with counterfeit devices as they are being sold by many different sellers. Unfortunately checking the serial number on them provides very little assurance as they are easily faked as well. The only way you can be sure is by purchasing from Apple or Authorized Apple seller..

I think my airpods pro 2 are fake

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.