Why do my tones keep disappearing in the clock app?

I have purchased 2 tones from the iTunes Store to use as my alarms. I have them set up as my wake up alarm in the Clock app. Every 2-3 weeks or so I’ll notice that my alarm sound will be set to a default tone and not my purchased one. I’ll go into the clock app to change it where you change your tones and my purchased tones won’t even be in there anymore, I’ll try to download all my tones and nothing pops up once I do. Usually if I mess around in there a bit (I never remember exactly how I get it to work again) I can get my tones back for my alarms. It’s just rather frustrating having purchased them and for them to disappear or stop every few weeks. Help please!

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on May 23, 2024 12:01 AM

1 reply

May 23, 2024 8:49 PM in response to Hannah_bananer

I am having problems with this too. I purchased/downloaded several tones a while back (over a year ago at least) and used them for certain daily alarms. For example, I purchased a “Jaws” tone (it’s my fav movie lol), and I assigned that tone to a daily alarm - so when I hear Roy Scheider say "You're gonna need a bigger boat", I know it's time to leave for work! lol. I’ve been using specific alarm tones like that every day for years - it just helps me remember what’s what.

But after downloading the IOS 17.5.1 update yesterday, those beloved purchased tones are nowhere to be found in the Clock app. I did have success troubleshooting & finding them in other places - like the "Sounds and Haptics" setting. But not in the Clock app.

Successful troubleshooting in "Sounds and Haptics":

Open Settings --> click on "Sounds & Haptics" --> under each sound category ("Ringtone", "Text Tone", etc.) click "Download All Purchased Tones".

This seemed to work- my purchased tones are back & shown in the following categories:

• "Text Tone"
  • "New Voicemail"
  • "New Mail"
  • "Sent Mail"
  • "Calendar Alerts"
  • "Reminder Alerts"
  • "Default Alerts"

*The "Ringtone" category is the only one that does not show my purchased Tones, but it does still show all of my purchased RINGtones at least.

Okay, so - Sounds & Haptics seems fixed. But Clock app is still missing my fav tones entirely.

I tried some troubleshooting tips found on Google, but am still unable to view or use my old purchased tones. :(

What I've tried so far in Clock app, with no success:

• Open Clock app --> click on "Alarms" --> select an existing Alarm to edit --> click on "Sound" --> brought to the following sections:

-Haptics

-Store

-Songs

-Ringtones

-None

^There are no other categories listed (unlike in Sounds/Haptics) - no 'Alert Tones', 'Default Alerts', 'Reminder Alerts', 'Text Tones'... nothing. (Which is pretty dumb IMO, because any category with the word "Alert" in it should probably be included in an app that literally alerts you.......... but what do I know?)

• I checked all of my usual daily alarms and also tried creating new ones - but no purchased tones found in any alarms, old or new.
    • The only exception: I found 1 old alarm that still had one of my purchased tones assigned to it. It's not one that I regularly use anymore, but at least there's evidence lol. (Per Google- DON'T MESS WITH IT. Editing will cause it to disappear like the others. RIP.)
  • Tried selecting "Download All Purchased Tones" under alarm sounds - but none of my OG purchased tones reappeared.
  • I looked for my purchased tones in the "Classic" alarm Ringtones section (someone online said they had been moved/hidden here after the last IOS update - nope.)
  • I also checked out the Timer feature (another online tip said the purchased tones may be hiding/downloadable in this area: Timer --> "When Timer Ends" --> "Download All Purchased Tones") Another nope.

Finally, I also tried to repurchase one my fav tones, but I got an error message too:

"You have already purchased this song. To download it again for free, tap Download."

Which I did, but nothing happened. No new downloads listed, no recent purchase listed, no nothing. Back to square one.

So --- I'm officially out of ideas (and patience). And I'm starting to get really sick of the words "purchased tones" lol.

Hope there is a fix for this. It's frustrating to not have my normal alarms go off. (fwp)

I got so used to what each one meant. Like Pavlov's dog lol.

Why do my tones keep disappearing in the clock app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.