Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Password expired prompt after changing password, when logging into macbook

Hi all!

I'm new to MacOS... I'm running into a problem.

I have a macbook that's connected to intune. Via intune, I set a compliance policy that requires strong passwords and sets the expiry to 90 days.

When i login to the Macbook (with my AD user account), I'm getting a warning that my password is expired:

The account password was less than 90 days old, but I went ahead and reset it anyway. I can login to the Macbook with the new password and everything on the domain seems to be updated with the new password, but I keep getting this warning when i login.

The one thing that I've tried so far was to reset the keychain, but that didn't resolve the issue.

I can hit continue and login without making any changes to my password.

Any idea how to correct this?

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro (M3, 2023)

Posted on May 23, 2024 7:43 AM

2 replies

May 24, 2024 1:44 PM in response to WheelieNick

Thanks for getting back to me!

The password is fairly strong - 16 chars, mixed case letters, numbers, and special chars.

I wonder if the issue is due to the account being a domain account?

I ran this, based on a conversation I found on another site:

sudo dscl . -read Users/[MY_AD_USERNAME] accountPolicyData

I also ran the command against a local user account.

I see that my account doesn't have a key for passwordLastSetTime, but the local/nonAD account does.

Is that normal?

TIA

Password expired prompt after changing password, when logging into macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.