watch SE not working after swimming

My son's Apple watch SE 2nd gen. is less than 2 years old. We have a pool and the kids often go swimming, and they never had an issue. However, a couple of weeks ago the watch stopped working after he went for a swim. I called Apple support and they couldn't help. She told me I should have turned on the water lock before going into the pool. That's crazy that is the feedback I received. The water lock feature doesn't make the watch water resistant, it just locks the screen. It's completely unacceptable to have a product fail in less than 2 years after just regular pool swimming. There is not a scratch on the watch so water shouldn't have gotten in. That's just poor build quality and completely unacceptable!

Posted on May 23, 2024 1:23 PM

3 replies

May 24, 2024 6:05 AM in response to WheelieNick

I understand it's not waterproof, but you're supposed to be able to swim with with it in shallow water up to 50m. So far as the water resistance not lasting, like I said the watch is less than 2 years old. I expect a lot more from Apple products. The watch hasn't been damaged, not even a scratch. My oldest son got the same watch at the exact same time, only difference is the size 44 mm. He also wears it sometimes when swimming in the pool and his watch has no issues. I own a lot of Apple products (ipads, macbooks, iphones, apple watches) that my whole family uses, and I've never been so disappointed in an Apple product.

Apple Watch SE

Durability

Water resistance 50m (swimproof)6

1. Apple Watch SE has a water resistance rating of 50 meters under ISO standard 22810:2010. This means that it may be used for shallow-water activities like swimming in a pool or ocean. Apple Watch SE should not be used for scuba diving, waterskiing, or other activities involving high-velocity water or submersion below shallow depth. Water resistance is not a permanent condition and can diminish over time. For additional information see support.apple.com/en-us/HT205000.

May 24, 2024 6:21 AM in response to MrSebJ

I understand this is a community board, and I guess I'm just venting. I also provided feedback to Apple at Product Feedback - Apple

If other customers have experienced the same issue, provide your feedback to Apple. Maybe something will come of it. You should be able to swim with your Apple Watch as advertised, and replace it if it doesn't. Simple as that!

watch SE not working after swimming

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.