Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Chrome Bookmarks Lost after Chrome Update

I use Chrome rather than Safari for browsing.

Following a recent Chrome Version Update, I've just noticed that all of my Chrome Bookmarks have vanished, and there does not seem to be anyway of rolling back the Chrome Update.

I had not backed-up Chrome Bookmarks (and don't know how that would be done).

I failed to notice the missing Bookmarks immediately, and (since the Chrome Update) have emptied my Bin (so nothing in there).

I've looked for 'Bookmarks' and 'Bookmark.bak' files in:

Mackingtosh HD\Library\Application Support\ but can't find either.

I was wondering if my Chrome Bookmarks might be automatically backed up to my iCloud Storage Plan.

However, when I go to iCloud Drive in Finder, it only lists the following (which I assume is all that is being backed-up, correct?)

Documents

TextEdit

Desktop

Pages

Preview

Shortcuts

Q1. Is there anywhere else where Chrome Bookmarks may have been automatically backed-up to?

Q2. Though reluctant to use Chrome Bookmarks in future, I'll probably end up doing that, and would like to know how best to back-up Chrome Bookmarks?

Thanks (in advance) for any suggestions / comments - much appreciated.

MacBook Pro 15″

Posted on May 24, 2024 5:27 AM

4 replies

May 24, 2024 5:38 AM in response to clickfix

Using the Go menu on the Finder Open folder

~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome

This is where Google stores its bookmarks.

If you connect Chrome to your Google account, it can backup bookmarks to its cloud.

If there isn't another copy of the bookmarks elsewhere, you might try data recovery software like those below:

Recovering data from Macs - Apple Community

Sometimes files get deleted but their pointers are all that's deleted. Most data recovery tools can see the lost files. When your hard drive is too full or overwritten too many times, that's when deleted data is no longer able to be recovered.

May 24, 2024 6:28 AM in response to clickfix

Following a recent Chrome Version Update,....

Have you asked of Chrome support? If this happened after a Chrome update and not and Apple update, contacting them is an action to consider. No company in immune from bugs in updates.

https://support.google.com/chrome/?hl=en#topic=7439538

Were there an issue with the last update, more people there are likely to know about it.

Chrome Bookmarks Lost after Chrome Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.