Upgrading from iphone X to iphone 15

Hi All,

I have been planning to upgrade my iPhone X to iPhone 15 next month. Currently I have been checking the ways to transfer whole data to the upcoming new iPhone 15. According to certain YouTube videos, both phones need have the same software version in order to transfer all data without using iCloud. However, my existing iPhone X is not compatible with iOS 17 (now running iOS 16.7.7), however the new phone will be. So, I'd like to know how to transfer data without using iCloud.

Thanks.

iPhone X, iOS 16

Posted on May 24, 2024 2:00 PM

6 replies

May 24, 2024 2:06 PM in response to AjmalF11

Most “helpful” Youtube videos are junk. Like the ones you have apparently seen (check wikipedia for Sturgeon’s Law). You can transfer data from an iOS device to another iOS device as long as the target device has the same or a later version of iOS. The only transfer you cannot due is from a newer version to an older version.

Follow this guidance→Transfer data from your previous iOS or iPadOS device to your new iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

May 24, 2024 2:18 PM in response to AjmalF11

According to certain YouTube videos, both phones need have the same software version in order to transfer all data without using iCloud

You either misunderstood this information......or more likely.....it is just wrong.

Keep in mind that certain YouTube videos claim that the earth is flat. The fact that there might be a YouTube video about anything does not mean that it is true.

May 24, 2024 2:09 PM in response to AjmalF11

The quick start required that boths devices must update however it’s a iPhone X with the latest compatible iOS and the iPhone 15 with the latest iOS that’s all you need plus enough iCloud storage and good battery or boths iPhones plugged with the charger and good strength WiFi signal

Use Quick Start to transfer data to a new iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Upgrading from iphone X to iphone 15

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.