Setting up new iPhone 13 and transferring from old phone but can’t see progress as when I swipe up can’t enter password to unlock it

Setting up new iPhone 13. Using the device to device method so followed steps to pair the 2. Got to the stage of entering a password, new phone updated to latest iOS, and progressed through to display size etc. now it’s been stuck for an hour. Old phone says transfer taking place, but I can’t unlock my new phone to check. Every time I swipe up to unlock the password screen literally appears for half a second so can’t type in code then back to hello screen. Any advice welcome, hoping once I can unlock the new phone again can see where transfer is, by the way the new phone is quite hot, temperature wise!

iPhone SE

Posted on May 25, 2024 6:11 AM

1 reply

May 25, 2024 12:05 PM in response to Ovigoose65

Some users have encountered a transfer problem if the new iPhone updates iOS during the transfer.

If this is your case, stop the update and configure your iPhone as a new iPhone, i.e. without doing the data transfer. This allows you to update iOS.

To stop the update, force the iPhone to restart:

• A quick click on the volume+ button.
  • A quick click on the volume- button.
  • Press and hold the side button until the Apple logo appears. It can take up to 20 seconds.

Once the update is done, erase the iPhone (Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone and tap Erase Content and Settings) and then configure it again, this time by transferring the data with quick start.

Setting up new iPhone 13 and transferring from old phone but can’t see progress as when I swipe up can’t enter password to unlock it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.