Apple TV 4K only audio/black screen with only certain content between 2 different streaming apps

while trying to stream Marley on paramount + streaming app, I only get about 10 minutes of audio and video. Then only audio and no video.

today, I tried watching sweet tooth season 2 on the Netflix app and got only audio and a black screen for every episode. The Netflix logo did appear on the screen before it went black. I was able to watch season 1 of sweet tooth right before moving on to season 2.

other content on the paramount +/Netflix app stream just fine.

I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling the apps, powering on and off both Apple TV and tv. Turning on “match content” in settings. Selected “Check hdmi connection” and it was fine. Tried factory resetting the Apple TV. Still not able to watch Marley/season 2 of sweet tooth

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 17

Posted on May 25, 2024 12:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2024 10:04 PM

EDIT: found a temporary solution, apparently apple doesn't support some dovi codecs which very shameful to be honest as a tech giant, FIX: in settings turn off Match dynamic range this will stop netflix forcing the dolby vision.

Fix this Apple seriously, facepalm

So literally no solution? Come on apple what is this nonsense? I hope this won't happen with Stranger things new season.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2024 10:04 PM in response to No-video-only-audio

EDIT: found a temporary solution, apparently apple doesn't support some dovi codecs which very shameful to be honest as a tech giant, FIX: in settings turn off Match dynamic range this will stop netflix forcing the dolby vision.

Fix this Apple seriously, facepalm

So literally no solution? Come on apple what is this nonsense? I hope this won't happen with Stranger things new season.

Jun 7, 2024 4:49 AM in response to No-video-only-audio

Update your Apple TV system software to the current version, if not done already. How to update your Apple TV - Apple Support

Try this for any misbehaving app:

1. Force-quit the app, then relaunch and try again.
  2. If the issue persists, force-quit the app, restart the device, then relaunch and try again.
  3. If the issue still persists, delete the app, re-download and try again.
  4. If the issue still persists after that, then contact the app developer for further assistance.

Jun 15, 2024 2:24 PM in response to No-video-only-audio

Came across this thread today after having issues my trying to stream the latest season of sweet tooth. Disabling match dynamic range and altering the video setting from 4k Dolby Vision to 4k HDR successfully lets me stream the show. Other Dolby Vision titles on Netflix are ok. I’ve also reported the issue to Netflix through the report problem button on the video history. Probably worth it if others with same issue do the same to Netflix.

Apple TV 4K only audio/black screen with only certain content between 2 different streaming apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.