Lifesaving story

I am looking into getting an Apple Watch. I've never had one, but my son has one. I would like to share a life-saving story about my son's Apple Watch which is driving me to want one!

My son got married at the age of 29 July 2023 in October 2023 he was working in his basement by himself, moving a a piece of sheet glass. A Corner of the glass broke off as it was falling, the glass cut his wrist through 6 Tendons 2 nerves. Not being able to get to his Apple phone he got himself out of the basement to his driveway holding his wrist with his other hand bleeding profusely. He used his Apple Watch to call 911. Not knowing what to do at this point, I'm sure in shock, he sat and waited for the ambulance. Luckily, a neighbor came by while walking her dog, Saw that he was in distress and put a tourniquet on him with a flexible hose until the ambulance got there. At Rochester General, they got him right into In eight hour surgery That repaired the damage that was done. It gives me chills to tell the story. I am so thankful he had the wits to use his Apple Watch to call an ambulance. I'm 60 years old, I babysit children in my home and I just feel like an Apple Watch is something I can use and would be proud to wear!

Thank you for letting me tell my story Susan R, New York

iPhone XR, iOS 17

Posted on May 26, 2024 8:10 AM

1 reply

May 26, 2024 9:03 AM in response to Jakelife

Thank you for your story.

Talk with your Son about what you can and cannot do with an Apple Watch.

You will need an iPhone XS, XR, SE 2nd gen, 11, or newer. An older iPhone will not pair with the current generation Apple Watch.

If you get a GPS Only Apple Watch, then you need to have your iPhone nearby, where nearby is generally in the same moderate sized wood frame constructred house. As long as your iPhone is nearby, you can do EVERYTHING with a GPS only Apple Watch as you can a cellular.

If you get a cellular Apple Watch, then it shares your iPhone's phone number, and cellular carriers that support the Apple Watch add a $10 U.S. fee to your iPhone bill. The cellular model will allow you to leave your iPhone at home when you go for walks, bicycle rides, etc...

These are the cellular carriers that support the Apple Watch

Apple Watch - Carriers - Apple

NOTE: For the GPS only models, your iPhone cellular carrier does not matter.

Things I do with my GPS Only Series 4 Apple Watch (I almost always have my iPhone on me, as I stopped worrying about bulges in my pockets years ago, or very close to me): • It tells time, date, day of the week • Every iPhone alarm, appears on my wrist, where you can acknowledge it, dismiss it, etc… • I like the iPhone 3rd party “Alarmed” app (http://yoctoville.com), for my alarms • Ring.com door bell can display a static image on the Apple Watch • Weather (this gets used a lot) • MyRadar 3rd party app will display radar image • MyRadar and WeatherBug 3rd party apps will send you weather alerts • Make/Receive phone calls • Make/Receive FaceTime audio calls • Use Walkie-Talkie anywhere on the planet • Silence phone ringing by pressing the digital crown (great for SPAM calls) • Send & receive iMessages • Send & receive SMS TEXT • Say “Hey Siri, 14 and a half minute timer” • Say “Hey Siri, remind me when I get home to do xyz” • Say “Hey Siri, message my wife/husband/Susan/George/etc…” • Say “Hey Siri, start Outdoor Walk” • Say “Hey Siri, end workout” • Use a 3rd party garage door opener app and device (such as MyQ) • You can check your calendar • Read your email • If you need to take an iPhone picture where you cannot see the screen, use Apple Watch Camera app as a view finder/shutter release • 3rd party Ocean's Tide app for beach visits • Hand washing reminder and timer • Unlock your Mac (I do this several times a day) • Unlock your iPhone when you are wearing a mask • Track your exercise and physical activities Since my Wife got her Apple Watch, we have been able to reliably iMessage each other, as she never keeps here iPhone on her person. If my Apple Watch was lost, stolen, or broken, I would order a replacement as fast as possible, as I would miss it so much.

Lifesaving story

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.