no audio from Apple TV with sono arc soundbar

I have checked audio settings, have rebooted apple TV but there is no sound with the video.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 17

Posted on May 26, 2024 6:34 PM

4 replies

May 27, 2024 4:25 AM in response to rxbartolo

• Users are supposed to have the Apple TV box send audio to the TV (via HDMI), and set the TV to passthrough any audio to the soundbar.
  • Does your TV have eARC? Then you may need to configure the port as for eARC use, on the TV, else you get just plain ARC.
  • With just ARC, the output would be very limited in bandwidth, and may require setting the audio format to Dolby Digital 5.1, as PCM Multichannel (‘Auto’) would exceed the bandwidth limits.
  • For TVs with just ARC, but wanting the best audio, you may need an external eARC adapter, like the HDfury Arcana. Not cheap, but more economical than a new TV.
  • If you were to select the soundbar as audio output directly on the Apple TV, then that would be a temporary connection at lower quality (stereo).

May 27, 2024 10:22 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Thanks for your response, however for the past year Apple TV worked fine sending audio to the TV via HDMI. Yes the TV has eARC. Given that nothing in this configuration changed, it's been working for over a year, and I can still stream films using my Air Pods, I am stuck trying to figure out what caused this to happen. The wait times at Sonos are prohibitive so checking whether other Apple TV users have encountered this problem...

May 27, 2024 7:46 PM in response to rxbartolo

I too just experienced this issue. Nothing changed with my TV/Sonos Beam Gen 2/Apple TV connections. I think it may have been a recent background update of either the TV or Apple TV that is now affecting pass through sound. I am able to hear and stream Dolby Atmos content, but not 5.1 sound. It happened suddenly for me. I tried watching the Clone Wars on Disney Plus through my ATV with no sound, but I can watch a Dolby movie like Avengers through the same app with no issues. I was even able to select other languages on Clone Wars like Japanese and the sound came through.

no audio from Apple TV with sono arc soundbar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.