I don't know the Apple ID necessary for taking off the activation lock after factory resetting my iPad.

Hello,

I have recently found an old iPad that was disabled and needed to be connected to iTunes, so I did just that; I connected it to iTunes.

after opening the iPad and it showed me "Hello" in 4 different languages and connected it to wifi a screen came up and said "Activation Lock", it said to put an Apple ID in and the password to gain access to the iPad, it wanted the Apple ID that was connected to the iPad, since this iPad belonged to my sister I figured that I needed her Apple ID so I asked her for it, she put it in and it didn't work, I tried asking all my family members for their Apple ID but it didn't work, we also checked if the iPad was connected to one of our iCloud accounts but it didn't work and when we went to the iCloud.com/find and logged into the iCloud accounts we didn't find it connected there.

I tried to read in the support.apple.com forums but I couldn't solve it.

I don't know any apple stores nearby as the nearest one we know of is unreachable.

If you have any tips or suggestions for what I could do about this please let me know.

iPad (4th generation)

Posted on Jun 5, 2024 10:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2024 8:16 PM

It will require that ID to sign out. Keep on trying to find it. Apple can't really help you with that. It's a bit like forgetting your name.

If you cannot get the information then Apple can completely reset a device if a person can provide sufficient evidence of valid ownership. Do this online at: Activation Lock support request - https://al-support.apple.com/#/additional-support Apple says, "Proof of ownership documentation is required," but does not detail what currently constitutes proof. Apple may typically require the original receipt* issued by Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller. If Apple resets the device this will give you access to the device but won't restore access to the account used to lock it. There is nothing that can be done to expedite an Activation Lock request.

*Apple recommends you "Keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device" --> Keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device - Apple Support

If you can't do that either then recycle the iPad. It is essentially useless.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2024 8:16 PM in response to Vex_SK

It will require that ID to sign out. Keep on trying to find it. Apple can't really help you with that. It's a bit like forgetting your name.

If you cannot get the information then Apple can completely reset a device if a person can provide sufficient evidence of valid ownership. Do this online at: Activation Lock support request - https://al-support.apple.com/#/additional-support Apple says, "Proof of ownership documentation is required," but does not detail what currently constitutes proof. Apple may typically require the original receipt* issued by Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller. If Apple resets the device this will give you access to the device but won't restore access to the account used to lock it. There is nothing that can be done to expedite an Activation Lock request.

*Apple recommends you "Keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device" --> Keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device - Apple Support

If you can't do that either then recycle the iPad. It is essentially useless.

I don't know the Apple ID necessary for taking off the activation lock after factory resetting my iPad.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.