Unsyncing two macs messages

So my dad gave his big mac(the apple product not mcdonalds) and i signed into my apple ID, i also started messaging my friends with my phone being replaced. When they trying texting or calling me though, my dade also got the notifactions. I noticed that my email that they were texting me through was my dads. So i need a way to disconnect the two Macs.

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 12.7

Posted on Jun 12, 2024 8:16 AM

1 reply

Jun 12, 2024 11:11 AM in response to littlenotsolittledude

This sounds like your Dad did not properly prepare the computer for transferring to you. See:

What to do before you sell, give away, trade in, or recycle your Mac - Apple Support

I believe his Apple ID, which links functions among Apple devices on the same Apple ID, would not still be associated had he used the steps in that article.

Help me understand. When you say:

" i also started messaging my friends with my phone being replaced"

Does that mean the iMac is replacing your phone, or your phone is in for service? You can only message users with non-Apple devices if you have the computer listed on the iPhone in Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding.

See: Forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your Mac or iPad

Unsyncing two macs messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.