Why does Mail App in Monterey keep crashing?

My mail app (Monterey 12.7.5) almost never opens properly. The message header shows -- the content is blank. I have to quit Mail altogether, and re-open it, then I get a content --- for ONE message, maybe two. Then it goes back to not opening the 3rd (or 2nd) email message. Really quite annoying. How does this get fixed?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.7

Posted on Jun 12, 2024 11:31 AM

4 replies

Jun 13, 2024 5:29 AM in response to corbinbdc

corbinbdc wrote:

Thanks, but most of this is beyond me. I found Disk Utility, tried to do step 1, then was notified my computer would be shut down "for hours." I have a MacScan which I disengaged. It says I can avoid the shutdown if I do something in recovery mode, which I don't even understand let alone know how to do.

MacScan !!

Start Over and this time do not allow this application anywhere near this computer

Disk Cleaner 

This will include CleanMyMac , aka “ BrickMyMac

MacKeeper,

Dr Cleaner Pro Plus

Open Cleaner one Pro

Macmechanic

Clean my Mac x.

MacBooster

➡️ Macscan. ⬅️

Jun 12, 2024 12:33 PM in response to corbinbdc

Have you run Disk Utility's Disk First Aid on all connected drives?

In Disk Utility>View, select Show all Devices, highlight the top left entry.

Run Disk First Aid on all items in the left panel, from top down.

Are you running any VPN, Anti-Virus, or Cleaning apps?

If still no good Disconnect from the Internet, then start Mail, look for the last rec'd eMail.

Does Mail crash if no internet?

Quit Mail & login to your WebMail in a Browser, if possible delete any later eMails there after the last rec'd one on the Mac.

If you have no POP accounts & they’re all IMAP accounts then in Mail’s Mailbox menu choose Rebuild.

Jun 12, 2024 4:44 PM in response to corbinbdc

Start up from macOS Recovery by holding these keys on startup...

Option-⌘-R

Once started look up top or Utilities, choose Disk Utility, then...

In Disk Utility>View, select Show all Devices, highlight the top left entry.

Run Disk First Aid on all items in the left panel, from top down.

Restart.

If Mail still no good Disconnect from the Internet, then start Mail, look for the last rec'd eMail.

Does Mail crash if no internet?

Quit Mail & login to your WebMail in a Browser, if possible delete any later eMails there after the last rec'd one on the Mac.

If you have no POP accounts & they’re all IMAP accounts then in Mail’s Mailbox menu choose Rebuild.

Why does Mail App in Monterey keep crashing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.