png images and pages

I used to open an image in preview, export it to png and when used in Pages was transparent. No more! Not even on files I buy in png format. I must remove the background using Pages. This is okay sometimes. Some images, especially letters, have small spaces where the background must be removed manually. I use Pages to make greeting cards so the unacceptable rejection of png images is very annoying. Is there a solution?

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Jun 14, 2024 11:28 AM

3 replies

Jun 14, 2024 12:05 PM in response to Anotherwiuser

If a PNG image has a transparent background when opened in Preview, and provided you have not added any non-transparent content to it, then it will be exported as a PNG with a transparent background by checking the Alpha box in the PNG export panel. Preview also allows one to remove backgrounds in images without having to do this in Pages.

Preview User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

If you have a recent version of macOS installed, Apple provides a Quick Action (Remove Background) that does a credible job of removing a background from an image. That is, provided the background is a different color than the image you want to retain.

png images and pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.