App Store not recognizing my correct OS version

I recently replaced HD and I am attempting to re-install Apps. When I log into App Store and attempted to download an app I get message that my OS needs updating. I am running Catalina 10.15.7.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 14, 2024 4:06 PM

3 replies

Jun 15, 2024 7:51 AM in response to pauldfromwestlinn

Let’s see if this issue happens in Safe Mode:

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Press and hold the power button on your Mac. As you continue to hold the power button, your Mac turns on and loads startup options. When you see Options, release the power button.
  3. Select your startup disk. It's named Macintosh HD, unless you changed its name.
  4. Press and hold the Shift key, then click the “Continue in Safe Mode” button below your startup disk.
  5. Log in to your Mac. You might be asked to log in again.

If the issue doesn't continue in safe mode:

Leave safe mode by restarting your Mac normally, then try to reproduce the issue.

If the issue doesn't return, it might have been resolved by the other things that safe mode did at startup, such as checking your disk and clearing caches.

A few other ideas:

Need more help?

Click ▶︎ macOS User Guide. 📖

Good luck! 👋🏼😉

Jun 15, 2024 3:04 AM in response to pauldfromwestlinn

As was just posted, the Mac App Store tends to only keep apps compatible with the most recent OS versions, particularly if these are Apple apps. Other vendors may offer older versions too; check the fine print, or sometimes if you go to the vendor's web site and hunt around their support page they may include them there.

If you want or must run an older OS version, you will need to make sure you always have backups of software.

See if you can upgrade your system version, but do make a backup first!

How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

Jun 15, 2024 12:44 AM in response to pauldfromwestlinn

The most recent version of macOS is Sonoma 14.5. Most current apps offered in the App Store require the most recent version of macOS.

Go to System Settings in the  menu. Choose General, then Software Update. There should be an update for your Mac there if one is available.

M1 Mac mini, macOS 14.5;  Watch, series 7 GPS/cellular, watchOS 10.5; iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 17.5; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 17.5; HomePods, audioOS 17.5 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

App Store not recognizing my correct OS version

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.