Slow Internet on M1 Laptop

Hi - my MacPro M1 Max is just not as fast as it should be when photo editing, but the urgent problem now is that the wifi is crazy slow, like under 100mbps when it should be 500. My husband's new MacBook is closer to 400 in the same space. I've restarted the computer and don't know what else to do. Ideas? Thank you!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 15, 2024 12:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2024 9:51 AM

Once you get this sorted… If you are interested in privacy as well as the existing end-to-end TLS connection security, consider enabling iCloud+ Private Relay. That can and sometimes will slow some network connections as adding two hops into your link will do that, but I trust Apple somewhat more than I trust the first-few-hops VPN providers, and Apple built the two-hop Tor-like relay design with user privacy in mind.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2024 9:51 AM in response to lynneharty

Once you get this sorted… If you are interested in privacy as well as the existing end-to-end TLS connection security, consider enabling iCloud+ Private Relay. That can and sometimes will slow some network connections as adding two hops into your link will do that, but I trust Apple somewhat more than I trust the first-few-hops VPN providers, and Apple built the two-hop Tor-like relay design with user privacy in mind.

Jun 15, 2024 12:57 PM in response to lynneharty

I’ll assume you meant MacBook Pro and not the rather large tower Mac Pro configuration.

Which macOS version? (The macOS 10.13 version shown in the footer won’t boot on an M1, so that’s not it.)

Now as for the Wi-Fi network…

Incorrectly-configured Wi-Fi can cause connectivity issues, as can buggy or failing routers. Check for and apply available router firmware updates, too. If there’s more than one Wi-Fi router present (and configured as a router, not as an access point), that can play havoc with connectivity when subnets are not configured.

How many IP network routers are present? Just one?

Or is there another Wi-Fi router, or maybe an ISP IP router/firewall/gateway box involved?

Does the (presumably) MacBook Pro Wi-Fi network run faster when connected to other Wi-Fi networks elsewhere?

Wi-Fi interference can also be a potential issue. The built-in Wi-Fi troubleshooting tools are adequate and have the benefit of being trivial, while tools such as WiFi Explorer app can make troubleshooting shooting easier.

To view the basic Wi-Fi environment characteristics, Option-Click on the Wi-Fi logo 🛜 in the menu bar, and capture some Wi-Fi network data. Post the items shown in the following image including the Security mode and from Channel to NSS inclusive (Security, Channel, Country, RSSI, Noise, Tx Rate, PHY mode, MCS, NSS, green highlight) (without posting the Wi-Fi address, any local HotSpots that might be present, the network name, or the BSSID, all of which are expurgated from the image shown below, red highlight), and we can take a look at the basic network environment.

Jun 15, 2024 2:49 PM in response to lynneharty

Update your macOS to macOS 14.5, if you can get a stable connection on another Wi-Fi, or can get a USB-C to Ethernet dongle*.

That Wi-Fi network is fine based on RSSI and noise and 11ac, which means the problem probably lurks elsewhere.

I’ll assume the IP address you have been allocated is not a 169.254.0.1 to 169.254.255.254 IP address, but is somewhere in your 10.0.0.1 to 10.255.255.254, 172.16.0.1 to 172.16.255.254, or likely somewhere in the most common 192.168.0.1 to 102.168.255.254 network range. If you are in 169.254.x.y, that’s a particular type of problem.

Could be a problem within the AirPort Wi-Fi router, or could be the ISP link. I’ve had all sorts of problems with several AirPorts and ended up replacing them all. They were dropping out hard for ~15 seconds at random, and with no messages and no flashing LED. That gave clients grief. But those dropouts were also afflicting all clients with network pauses.

Does this MacBook Pro perform well when connected on other networks? This to rule out the MacBook Pro as a likely problem.

Or this could be a problem some add-on anti-malware apps, add-on security tools, add-on VPN client apps, or add-on cleaners. Any of those installed on the MacBook Pro here?

*I’d look for a 2.5 GbE or 5 GbE dongle here and not a 1 GbE dongle, as wired networks are transitioning from 1 GbE to faster speeds. No sense buying the old stuff, whenever the difference in the dongle prices are minimal. Faster dongles do work with slower 1 GnE networks, too.

Jun 16, 2024 8:36 AM in response to lynneharty

VPN software can be VERY invasive, even when working properly. Most user-installed VPN software is scare-ware -- the makers suggested you install it to Improve security, and it does EXACTLY the opposite while reducing Privacy and making them richer from selling your (now concentrated) data.

Except if you need to be "present" on an Institutional network, I strongly suggest you un-install that user-installed VPN software and NEVER re-install it.

Jun 15, 2024 1:24 PM in response to lynneharty

I am sorry for the first message's errors. Yes, I'm on a MacBook Pro M1 Max running OS Sonoma 14.3. I have one router (a rather old apple airport). I've reset the modem and router, restarted my computer. I can't actually answer right now your question about how it works in other spaces as I've been working out of my office 99% of the time, but it's a valid question.

Here is a screen shot attached.

Jun 17, 2024 8:13 AM in response to MrHoffman

Mr Hoffman,

I've removed VPN and other 'security" software, updated to latest Sonoma, run disc utilities, restarted, disconnected all hard drives, closed other safari windows, and this morning I can't get above 100 mbps on my wifi. I'm right next to the router (5'). My husband works downstairs from me on the same router and his speeds are always over 400 mbps. I feel like there must be a setting that is screwing things up since his works fine. Here are my wifi settings today:

Any other ideas of what to check? yesterday I had one glorious moment where my wifi speed was over 400. Also I noticed on one of the speed tests today, it started going fast upwards of 200mbps then slowed down after about 3 seconds of the test - in case that means anything to you.

Also, per your earlier question, I will take my laptop to another wifi spot to test it later today.

Jun 16, 2024 5:31 AM in response to MrHoffman

You are very kind to try and help me with such detail here, thank you.

This morning I turned on my computer and suddenly my speed test showed over 400 mbps. Maybe the last restart after my safe mode tweaks helped? Or as you suggested I was just having router pauses, and since this airport is pretty old I may just replace it.

My IP address is in the range you said was good. As for add on apps, I do have a vpn application (NordVPN) but it has been turned off ( I assume if it's not open it's not causing problems?). I found some old apps that moved over from previous computer that were security type apps and deleted them just in case.

Next I will install the software update. Fingers crossed these things will help!

Thank you.

Jun 17, 2024 8:38 AM in response to lynneharty

Your Wi-Fi 5 router connection still looks fine.

I use the WiFi Explorer app to scan the local network environment, among other troubleshooting tools. That app will show nearby Wi-Fi networks that can cause interference.

If you’re using iCloud+ Private Relay, disable that and test again.

Same for any ad-blocker, nanny- or other content-filtering, or related browser add-ons and extensions.

If you want us to review the local Mac configuration, please download and run (free) EtreCheck, and share the results to the clipboard. Then open a new reply here, and press the Additional Text button that looks like a printed page, and paste and post the hardware and software configuration report here. From that, we can get a little more detail about what is installed and what is running here.

Do try the connection in another location with a different Wi-Fi, too.

Slow Internet on M1 Laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.