Factory Reset on Macbook to sell, now requiring me to log on using university credentials

I recently performed a factory reset on my MacBook Pro (M1 chip, purchased through the university bookstore) using the erase all contents option in the settings. After giving the MacBook to my brother, he encountered an unexpected issue during the setup process. Despite the reset, the setup prompted him to log in through the university, specifically via the health department where I was previously affiliated.

I'm puzzled as to why this is happening after a factory reset. Shouldn't the reset remove all previous associations? Additionally, it's odd that it's specifically asking to log in through the health department, considering I initially set up the MacBook with my personal iCloud email. Moreover, the device originally belonged to the main campus, yet it's directing setup procedures towards a minor campus.

Any insights or suggestions on how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on Jun 21, 2024 3:46 PM

5 replies

Jun 21, 2024 4:10 PM in response to von266

An educated guess:

You purchased a used device, which was previously owned by the university ("the device originally belonged to the main campus"), and which was enrolled in a Managed Device program at some point.

What you are seeing is a Managed Device variation on the anti-theft feature Activation Lock. If that is the case, it's meant to survive a factory reset of the device, and to protect the interests of the organization that originally owned it. You can't clear it – if anyone could brush aside the screen, without proof of ownership, it wouldn't be very much of a theft deterrent.

You need to take the Mac back to the university bookstore and ask them to properly prepare the machine for resale. This would include removing it from their Managed Device system as well as following the procedures in What to do before you sell, give away, trade in, or recycle your Mac - Apple Support .

Jun 21, 2024 4:47 PM in response to Servant of Cats

It shouldn't be a used device as it was still in the box when I bought it from the book store and purchased new. What I meant by "belonged to the main campus" was that it was purchased through the bookstore on the main campus, the health department shown in the screenshot is a very specific part of the campus. It would be weird if say someone from the history department bought a laptop from the main campus bookstore and this popped up showing the health department.

Jun 22, 2024 10:22 PM in response to von266

Macs purchased through a school or business which uses an MDM to manage their devices can be automatically enrolled into the MDM. So any personal purchases made through a school or business should be carefully examined to make sure that they are not enrolled into an MDM & to have the school/business quickly remove the device from their MDM. An MDM can severely restrict the use of a device, plus the MDM can control the device including remotely locking or erasing the device, or installing & removing software.

It sounds like you should mention to the university book store that any Macs they sell should be removed from the school's MDM prior to being sold to anyone. That is a huge oversight on their part assuming this is what happened.

Factory Reset on Macbook to sell, now requiring me to log on using university credentials

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.