Fast Battery Degradation on Iphone 14 pro

Bought phone on 19/06/23, so so the phone is exactly one-year old

Personal Hotspot is using every day for 6-8 hours. Used wifi to connect before, when I have a laptop. Start to use type-C a 4 month ago when I got own PC.

Battery life was 99% on 13 march

94% was on 16 june

now it's 93%

Does the hotspot cause faster battery degradation?

Does the type-C connection cause more faster battery degradation?

Why my battery is older than my phone?

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Jun 25, 2024 1:11 AM

2 replies

Jun 25, 2024 1:40 AM in response to mykyta404

Hello! (This reply has been updated)

Batteries are inevitably degradable smartphone components.

93% battery health should be still enough for seamless use of the smartphone, however, given the fact that there have been only 282 charge times (which may be not equal to cycles, but still), it is possible that you have a battery malfunction.

The link below is Apple's Official Battery Health Information.

Batteries of iPhone 14 models and earlier are designed to retain 80% of their original capacity at 500 complete charge cycles under ideal conditions. 

Batteries - Service and Recycling - Apple

You may be entitled to a battery replacement.

But as I can see from the last screenshot that you provided, your warranty has expired, so battery replacement may cost something, but certainly a lot less than a price of a new smart phone.

Hotspot:

Using your phone as a hotspot significantly increases energy consumption, and as a result, your phone temperature may rise.

All batteries are designed only to work in specific range of temperatures.

So charging and using the battery, when it is hotter than it should be, will cause it to degrade at a higher rate.

My future advice for you will be that you don't use your iPhone as a hotspot on a regular basis, only when it's absolutely necessary, of course.

Also from the screenshots of your phone, I can see that you are using 5G networks. Especially when used with hotspot mode, they cause very high energy consumption.

Chargers

USB type C Port in smartphones enables higher rate of charge transfer.

Chargers that give out lower current and voltage may also reduce the amount of heat produced while charging because they are more gentle.

I cannot recommend you using third-party manufactured charging devices because they are quality can hardly be evaluated, but this is something you may consider.

I hope this was helpful. Please ask more questions if you have any.

Fast Battery Degradation on Iphone 14 pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.