Can I upgrade the OS of my iMac, late 2013

I have a perfectly working iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) with macOS Catalina Version 10.15.7

I cannot load some apps anymore (WhatsApp) unless I upgrade the OS. When checking for updates I get :"Your Mac is up to date". I am basically not allowed to upgrade, and doubt it is because the machine cannot run the upgrades. the iMac has 3.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, which is 64 bit. So I see no reason why I could not upgrade the OS.

I am worried that what happened to my first iPad will happen again, not letting me update the OS and then not allowing me to update the apps, and then not allowing me to run the "obsolete"apps. Forcing me to buy a new computer while this one is fine. Tell me I am wrong and there is a way to upgrade the OS.

Thanks

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 29, 2024 10:14 PM

7 replies

Jun 30, 2024 6:47 AM in response to Renaud_M_A

It is a combination of hardware and software, primarily hardware. A 2013 simply does not have the hardware to upgrade beyond 10.13.7, it is that simple. Also, before you may ask no the hardware cannot be upgraded to all Mac OS's beyond 10.13.7. If you want or need to run more up-to-date software (recommended) then it is time for a new(er) Mac. You have lots of available options open to you so explore them and you may be very suprised. All newer Macs are orders of magnitude faster than your 2013 due to many improvements in the hardware and Mac OS itself. My current machine is a the last 27" iMac, a 2020 which is a fine machine. However, when its time comes chances are very good when I buy another Mac it will be a Mac Mini and an external display. Far faster than my current machine and much less money too!

Jun 30, 2024 12:06 AM in response to Renaud_M_A

I'll repeat what MrHoffman said: You're at the highest supported version for that Mac.

There are some applications that you could consider installing that would let you get more life out of that iMac:

• The current version of the Firefox Web browser
  • One of the current versions of LibreOffice
  • The current version of GIMP (the GNU Image Manipulation Program)
  • The commercial Affinity V2 applications (Photo, Designer, and/or Publisher)
  • The backup utilities Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper! (You should be using Time Machine and/or one of them already.)

Apple may not be updating Safari for Catalina any more, but Firefox may help with that. Microsoft might not be offering Microsoft Office / 365 for Catalina any more, but you have Pages / Numbers / Keynote and there is also LibreOffice. Adobe may not sell Photoshop or Photoshop Elements for Catalina any more – but there are a few alternatives (like GIMP and Affinity Photo V2) if you need an advanced photo editor that will do layers.

Jun 29, 2024 11:50 PM in response to rkaufmann87

This confirms what I understand. My question/post was more, COULD it go beyond? Is there a mechanical or hardware issue stopping the upgrade. And maybe a way to bypass it.

It seems there isn't and that the only block is Apple not allowing it. So consumers do have to, as you say, "consider replacing the old girl". Replace perfectly good hardware and consume.

Or is there a physical/hardware block not allowing an upgrade that could be solved?

Can I upgrade the OS of my iMac, late 2013

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.