You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to fix the disappearance of Netflix app on 3rd Gen Apple TV?

I access Netflix through my 3rd gen Apple TV, suddenly the Netflix app has disappeared. How do I resolve this? Many thanks in advance.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Apple TV (3rd generation)

Posted on Aug 1, 2024 5:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2024 5:28 PM

Sorry Apple. You will not force me into buying another Apple TV by slowly eliminating all of Apple Gen2 content. I will either do without Netflix, mirror it from my phone, access it on my smart tv, or purchase a (cheaper)fire stick. Thanks for nothing!

7 replies

Aug 1, 2024 6:16 AM in response to agfox

Netflix has chosen to discontinue support for the legacy (2nd and) 3rd generation model.

How to use Netflix on your Apple TV - Netflix Help Center

↳ [since early June, until recently:] “(!) Netflix will no longer be available on Apple TV (2nd generation) and Apple TV (3rd generation) after July 31, 2024.”

↳ [now:] “NOTE: Netflix is available on Apple TV HD (4th generation) and later.”

The users of the app on this model device should have seen a message concerning this inside the app as well.

To solve this, you will need to use a more modern streaming device. E.g. Apple TV HD (4th generation) or later. Consider the current model Apple TV box.

Aug 2, 2024 9:54 AM in response to --_--1473

"current model Apple TV box"

Apple started re-numbering with the 4K models. (I wish they hadn’t, as it is needlessly confusing the users.)

2007: Apple TV (1st generation) A1218

2010: Apple TV (2nd generation) A1378

2012: Apple TV (3rd generation) A1427

2013: Apple TV (3rd generation, revision A) A1469 ← same as A1427 for users, only different hardware components

2015: Apple TV HD (4th generation) A1625 ← new tvOS architecture with App Store

2017: Apple TV 4K (1st generation) A1842

2021: Apple TV 4K (2nd generation) A2169

2022: Apple TV 4K (3rd generation) A2737 ← current models that Apple now sells as new.

2022: Apple TV 4K (3rd generation) A2843 ← current models that Apple now sells as new.

List of Apple TV models - Apple Support

Sep 8, 2024 11:25 PM in response to cbrisvet

This is a user-to-user forum. Most reactions here are not from Apple staff. Apple will not see your forum comments.

It is Netflix who decided to discontinue support for these legacy models; your beef is with them. At some point Netflix has ended and will end support for other brands of streaming devices too. They currently aim for support of devices designed in 2015 or later. Netflix blocks AirPlay Mirroring from Apple devices or through the Apple TV box (any model) (since 2019).

Thanks for nothing!

Thanks for 14 years of support, instead of 9.

How to fix the disappearance of Netflix app on 3rd Gen Apple TV?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.