You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

macOS Sequoia network issues

Like many others, Sequoia started behaving very sluggish from the very beginning. The computer itself was slow, but I also had trouble accessing the company's Microsoft 365 environment. I couldn't access SharePoint, OneDrive repeatedly asked me to log in, DNS resolution frequently didn't work, Teams refused to allow me to join meetings, the browser versions of Office, Excel etc didn't work, etc.

First thing was to uninstall the VPN software I sometimes have to use to connect to the office network from home. I'll wait for the vendor to release an update.

While at the office, my MacBook Pro is connected to both WiFi and cabled Ethernet. Once I unplugged the cable, things started behaving better - that's clearly a bug, and it has always worked just fine in older versions of macOS.

Setting Private Wi-Fi address to "fixed" helped with the frequent network disconnects. I've now set it to "off" (because I rarely use public Wi-Fi networks).

Things are now mostly back to normal. I hope this helps others struggling with similar issues.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 15.0

Posted on Sep 19, 2024 2:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2024 6:25 PM

Yes, this is a widely reported bug in Sequoia (just google intermittent internet connection Sequoia). As stated turning off the firewall usually works, it did on my 2019 imac and 2023 mac studio. This appears to be the only workaround until Apple fixes the network bug(s). The real question is, of course, why did Apple release an operating system update where many Mac owners have to to turn off the built-in firewall to get a stable internet connection?

28 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 26, 2024 6:25 PM in response to etresoft

Yes, this is a widely reported bug in Sequoia (just google intermittent internet connection Sequoia). As stated turning off the firewall usually works, it did on my 2019 imac and 2023 mac studio. This appears to be the only workaround until Apple fixes the network bug(s). The real question is, of course, why did Apple release an operating system update where many Mac owners have to to turn off the built-in firewall to get a stable internet connection?

Oct 2, 2024 7:31 AM in response to Starbreeze

If you are having connection issues with application XYZ, try the following steps:

1) Open a Terminal command window.

2) In order to see whether your OS firewall allows or blocks connection from application XYZ, enter the following command from the Terminal command window:

/usr/libexec/ApplicationFirewall/socketfilterfw --listapps

3) If the output from that command lists application XYZ as blocked by your OS firewall, you can allow application XYZ firewall access by entering the following command from the Terminal command window:

/usr/libexec/ApplicationFirewall/socketfilterfw --add /Applications/XYZ.app

( where XYZ.app is the name of the given application as listed in the /Applications folder, including case sensitive )

Sep 29, 2024 1:42 AM in response to etresoft

I have a problem with the ethernet connection. I send photos from Nikon Z8 camera to Macbook pro 14 M3 via LAN cable and ethernet adapter. After upgrading my system from Sonoma to Sequoia, my connection stopped working. "Connecting to computer" is constantly on the camera screen and nothing else. I tried turning off the firewall - it didn't help, reinstalling the utility from Nikon - it didn't help.

I set up a new LAN connection from the beginning with camera management in the utility - it didn't help. Can you please advise me of something I might have overlooked? That is, how do I get back to OS Sonoma?

Sep 29, 2024 7:46 AM in response to Drakemm

Drakemm wrote:

I tried turning off the firewall - it didn't help, reinstalling the utility from Nikon - it didn't help.
I set up a new LAN connection from the beginning with camera management in the utility - it didn't help. Can you please advise me of something I might have overlooked?

Firewall is one thing. The next thing is also firewall, or rather, any other kind of 3rd party "privacy" or "security" app that hacks around with network internals.

Also check System Settings > Network > WiFi > Private WiFi address and make sure it is set to "fixed".

That is, how do I get back to OS Sonoma?

That's a different question altogether. Create a bootable USB installer. Boot to recovery. Erase the hard drive. Reinstall Sonoma, restore from backup created before installing Sequoia.

Oct 2, 2024 8:41 AM in response to Starbreeze

Hi,

Same issues seen here after upgrading to MacOS 15, this is a mess!! It is very frequent that I can't open websites at the first try with Chrome, and I do run Zwift for my cycling workouts, and keeps dropping the connection every 1-2 mins, my teammates says that my avatar just disappears.

I have tried to:

-Re-add the Wifi adapter

-enable/disable Bluethoot, Location services

-Reinstall apps

-Change wifi settings to fix ip or alternate.

My next step will be to perform a reinstallation of the whole OS from scratch and see if that works.

Again, this issue started after upgrading my Mac to Sequoia, it is a Macbook Pro 16 inch M1, before that update it was working perfectly fine for 2 years now, how is this possible? Apple should test the Operating Systems before publishing them to the customers, this is a mess.

[Edited by Moderator]

Oct 11, 2024 5:01 AM in response to Starbreeze

In my case, uninstalling the third party Sophos Endpoint Protection software seems to have resolved constant disconnections of my Citrix Workspace sessions and other strange networking issues I've been experiencing since OSX updated on Monday.

I use a cabled ethernet connection with a static internal IP address so Wifi random IP address wasn't the problem. Also the OSX firewall was - and still is - enabled.

Will be testing re-installing the SEP software later today, to see if it interacts with the OS in a more stable manner after going through a full install process onto the new OS version.

macOS Sequoia network issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.