You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Iphone 14 frozen while downloading IOS 18 via PC.

My Iphone 14 with 128 GB capacity. With 18GB space. IOS 18 required 15.7ish space. However while updating on air, it got stuck twice after downloading 6+GB. So while checking online, I was advised to update it using PC. Now while updating IOS 18 via my Windows Surface using Apple Devices app, my phone is frozen with blackscreen - Apple logo and progress stuck at half way.

The error message that popped up on Apple Devices screen on my PC (Surface Pro 8) read like this - "The Iphone "Iphone" could not be updated. An unknown error occurred (10). 06B4.0000 "

I followed the force stop and tried using the "update" option while restarting iphone, it again stopped at the same spot black screen-Apple logo - progress bar showing for now more than 15 hours.

I have no back up. I don't not want my data to be lost. Please advise the best way forward.

Secondly, while trying to find sources online, apps like TenorShare are popping up. They seem to have figured my issue and seem to have a solution. Is it advisable to use them or any such 3rd party app for getting out of this situation?

I have too important data, which I just dont want to lose and have no back up. My mistake.

Please help.

iPhone 14

Posted on Sep 19, 2024 6:51 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2024 1:31 AM

Unfortunately, based on your situation, it seems that the iOS system on your phone got corrupted during the upgrade process, so there’s a high chance your data is lost. However, I still recommend that you try the following two methods one more time.

1. Force Restart Again

Sometimes a good ol' force restart can shake things loose. Try this:

• Quickly press and release the Volume Up button.
  • Quickly press and release the Volume Down button.
  • Then press and hold the Side button until the Apple logo appears.

Give it a shot and see if it boots up normally.

2. Try Recovery Mode

If that doesn’t work, you might need to get your phone into Recovery Mode. Here’s how:

1. Connect your iPhone to your Surface using a USB cable.
  2. Follow the force restart steps above, but keep holding the Side button after you see the logo until you see the Recovery Mode screen.
  3. When prompted on your PC, choose “Update” instead of “Restore.” This way, it’ll try to reinstall iOS without wiping your data.

If none of the above works, then you will need to try restoring your iPhone. However, this will result in data loss, so I suggest trying some other solutions first. Here is the official Apple documentation regarding this issue.

Get help with over-the-air iOS updates - Apple Support

If you see an error when you update or restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod - Apple Support (IN)

If you see error 9, 4005, 4013, or 4014 when you restore your ...

iOS update and restore errors - Apple Support

14 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 30, 2024 1:31 AM in response to FrozenIphone14

Unfortunately, based on your situation, it seems that the iOS system on your phone got corrupted during the upgrade process, so there’s a high chance your data is lost. However, I still recommend that you try the following two methods one more time.

1. Force Restart Again

Sometimes a good ol' force restart can shake things loose. Try this:

• Quickly press and release the Volume Up button.
  • Quickly press and release the Volume Down button.
  • Then press and hold the Side button until the Apple logo appears.

Give it a shot and see if it boots up normally.

2. Try Recovery Mode

If that doesn’t work, you might need to get your phone into Recovery Mode. Here’s how:

1. Connect your iPhone to your Surface using a USB cable.
  2. Follow the force restart steps above, but keep holding the Side button after you see the logo until you see the Recovery Mode screen.
  3. When prompted on your PC, choose “Update” instead of “Restore.” This way, it’ll try to reinstall iOS without wiping your data.

If none of the above works, then you will need to try restoring your iPhone. However, this will result in data loss, so I suggest trying some other solutions first. Here is the official Apple documentation regarding this issue.

Get help with over-the-air iOS updates - Apple Support

If you see an error when you update or restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod - Apple Support (IN)

If you see error 9, 4005, 4013, or 4014 when you restore your ...

iOS update and restore errors - Apple Support

Sep 20, 2024 12:06 AM in response to FrozenIphone14

See this --> If you see an error when you update or restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod - Apple Support (IN)

Or this --> iOS update and restore errors - Apple Support

Error 53 --> If you see error 53 when you update or restore your iPhone or ...

Error 9, 4005, 4013, 4014 --> If you see error 9, 4005, 4013, or 4014 when you restore your ...

Try updating iOS after each step.

• Try to Forget the WiFi network and add it again
  • Try another WiFi network 
  • Toggle sets automatically off and then on
  • Reset your network settings
  • Force restart your device
  • Remove any beta profiles, if applicable

VPN or proxy connections might prevent your device from contacting the update servers.

Here are some things you can try:

Basic checks:

• Make sure your iPhone is connected to a stable Wi-Fi network. A weak or intermittent connection can cause update issues.
  • Ensure your iPhone has enough storage space. The update might not be able to download if your storage is full. Go to Settings > General > [Device name] Storage and see how much space you have available. If you need to free up space, delete unnecessary apps or files.
  • Force restart your iPhone. This can clear any temporary glitches that might be causing the problem. For an iPhone 7, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Volume Down button simultaneously until you see the Apple logo.
  • Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve temporary software glitches. Turn off your iPhone, wait for a few seconds, and then turn it back on.
    1. Restart the device. That's it.
    2. Still not solved --> Force restart iPhone - Apple Support

More advanced troubleshooting:

Sep 21, 2024 6:41 PM in response to TariqMK

Delighted to share that I managed to get my phone back to life with my data and IOS 18 updated. Got errorrs like 10, 9, -81, etc. and many other screen pop ups. Learnings and issues were:

1 Always use Itunes and never "Apple Devices" app on PC which is useless.

2 Use the most updated Itunes version on Mac.

3 Having ample disc space in case you are bring an old Mac to service. I dusted my 2015 one. Even that worked.

4 I must have restarted and gotten stuck at least 8-9 times for various reasons, but I never used restore option, till "update" option kept popping up.

5 I could have encountered yet another error as by the time my phone was alive I had only 4% battery left.

6 Am so relieved that it all worked out.

7 And yes, first thing that Ia m doing is backing up my data now.

Thanks for all your help.

Sep 20, 2024 3:49 AM in response to FrozenIphone14

Hey, I have the EXACT same issue.

I have an iPhone 12 mini, tried to update via Windows 11 to iOS 18 and my phone got stuck halfway on the progress bar and got the same error (10). "06B4.0000" as you did.

Then I have to force restart my phone and now it is stuck not able to update and asking to be plugged in again.

My phone beforehand has been working absolutely perfectly without any issues, I thought I was alone in this but now I see you have the same issue.

I regret trying to update to iOS 18.

I hope something is fixed soon.

Sep 20, 2024 4:47 AM in response to FrozenIphone14

Hey so I figured it out kind of, but there is some bad news.

The bad news is that you have to accept that you have lost all your data, I accepted this too. 6,000 photos etc that I didn't get around to backing up yet. I thought it was a routine iOS upgrade but I paid the price for trying to cut corners.

The good news is that this issue is caused by iOS 18 and nothing wrong with your phone. Apple is still allowing people to upgrade/restore their phone to iOS 17.6.1 and this is how you will get your phone back.

You cannot update your phone to iOS 17.6.1 and preserve your data unfortunately, it will give another error. You have to do a compete restore to it. My phone was able to do this and I am now setting up the phone from scratch.

To summarise, you need to download iOS 17.6.1 from a site that has all the versions (i dont know if I can link the site here), then you need to connect the phone to Windows, open the Apple Devices app, and hold down SHIFT (or CTRL, I cant remember) while you click 'Restore'. This will allow you to choose the iOS file you will use to restore. Select the file you just downloaded and it will complete the process.

I managed to save my phone, but I am disappointed such a catastrophic thing has happened with iOS 18 upgrade.

Iphone 14 frozen while downloading IOS 18 via PC.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.