Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Crackling Noise During Music Playback after iOS 4.1 Update

Hey guys. Play music through my iPhone via USB in my Prius. Music has always been fine, but when i updated to 4.1, then started to play music in my car, i noticed a crackling noise during music playback. I thought maybe the speakers were blown, but there is no such sound when i play music CDs or pandora or anything other than the Mp3s. Is anyone having music playback issues after the 4.1 update???

Macbook Pro 2.2Ghz 4GB RAM 160GB HDD, Mac OS X (10.6.4), iPhone 4 16GB

Posted on Sep 9, 2010 10:49 AM

235 replies

Sep 9, 2010 5:19 PM in response to tpham070715

I'm having the same issue. Everything was fine on my iPhone 4 with 4.0.2, and then when I upgraded to 4.1 and connected to my Ford Fusions Sync system via USB I heard crackling and song stuttering. Playing over Bluetooth Media streaming works fine, I don't have any crackling, but as soon as I switch to the dock connection my songs skip and stutter. It's almost like a scratched CD, which is probably the best way to describe it. I noticed if I unpair the Bluetooth connection, the audio plays through USB without issue. As soon as I pair the Sync system with the iPhone again, the music begins to stutter. I hope Apple knows about this and is working on a fix.

Sep 11, 2010 9:12 PM in response to tpham070715

Yeah i have the iPhone 4 running 4.1 now. I have the Alpine iDA-X305S in my car with the Pandora link. The phone worked flawlessly on it until 4.1 where now the music cuts in and out every 45-60 seconds. This happens when i try to play ANY audio through the phone. i tested it on my home dock as well and same issue, so i ruled out my Alpine being the issue. This is VERY annoying seeing as my head unit is geared centrally around the iPhone!

Sep 12, 2010 11:04 AM in response to tpham070715

it isn´t only on playing songs via ipod app. Some apps like Pandora or Last.FM have Playback issues too after 4.1, but only if they connected with the dock connector.

i Work in a Hifi-Shop.
i have tried it with several docking stations, no Problem, evan if they also use the Digital output of the iphone and not the Analog.
Issues are only on my iDecco Peachtree with digital connection.

Sep 12, 2010 6:40 PM in response to tpham070715

Hi all,
I have ip 4 with 4.1 and I'm having the same problems as above with all devices that use the 30 pin connector!
I have a Bose sound dock 2, denon AW-51 dock and an Alpine IDA-X305S.

All these devices play but every 5-10 mins will drop sound for about a sec.

All was working fine with 4.02!

Is there any way to roll back to 4.02 because it's as irritating as ****.

Crackling Noise During Music Playback after iOS 4.1 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.