Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Touch 4G and Tomtom car kit for iPod Touch

Wondering if anyone out there has tried the 4th generation iPod Touch with the existing Tomtom car kit for iPod Touch. Does the GPS, AUX audio, and charging still work with the new gen?

Thanks for any feedback.

macbook, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Sep 9, 2010 11:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2010 11:24 AM

I have both the Magellan gps holder and the Tom Tom. The Magellan works fine but the Tom Tom does not with my new 4g ipod touch. It looks like it should but it takes alot of moving around just to get the sound but I have never gotten it to charge or the GPS to work. I was quite disappointed. I now need to sell it. Anyway, thought I would chime in.
50 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2010 11:24 AM in response to bauer172

I have both the Magellan gps holder and the Tom Tom. The Magellan works fine but the Tom Tom does not with my new 4g ipod touch. It looks like it should but it takes alot of moving around just to get the sound but I have never gotten it to charge or the GPS to work. I was quite disappointed. I now need to sell it. Anyway, thought I would chime in.

Sep 9, 2010 12:15 PM in response to bobditty

bobditty,

A couple of things just came to mind:

1. I know it seems obvious but you want to make sure you have your power supply cable seeded properly. If it is not then this could explain why the charge and GPS is not working (with my 1st Gen Touch the GPS will not function if the power is not plugged in).

2. There is a Tomtom Car Kit tool app. I do not know if this is required to setup your ipod with the GPS. You might try running that and see what it says. Again I think the GPS requires the power.

And one question, if you put your old iPod Touch in your car kit does it continue to function. If it does then this can give you a confidence that the car kit is still working, power, GPS, and all.

Thanks again for your feedback. It may save me from purchasing the new Touch as I love this car kit!

Sep 9, 2010 6:14 PM in response to bauer172

Update: I received the following response from TomTom support regarding iPod Touch 4g:

"please be assured as for now car kit is very much compatible with iPod touch unlike the iPhone 4G."

They weren't exactly specific that it will work with the 4th gen Touch but it sounds like they think it should. Not sure why it didn't work for bobditty.

If anyone can confirm the 4th gen works (or doesn't) with the car kit it would be appreciated.

Sep 12, 2010 3:52 PM in response to bauer172

bauer172,

I just purchased an iPod touch 4G along with a tomtom car kit. I was very disappointed that it didn't work. It seems that the new iPod touch is a tad to short to sit in the cradle right. I did manually push the device into the pin but I still couldn't get it to work. Had to return the tomtom car kit.

Sep 23, 2010 4:06 PM in response to bauer172

Bought the iTouch 4g Last week. Was quite disgusted not just by the fact that it didn't work with my Tomtom, but rather the response I got from Apple on the matter. They said if the usb adapter works then it's the third party companies fault it doesnt work. Not true, considering Apple changed the design. The guys in Tomtom were oblivious to the problem.

Sep 28, 2010 7:10 PM in response to bauer172

I just tried to dock my new iPod touch 4G with the TomTom car kit. The extra wiggle room is eliminated by using a case. Unfortunately, I received a pop-up message stating the "Accessory is not supported." I have a feeling that this has something to do with the TomTom car kit tool app and not the car kit itself, but am not going to bet $40 on it. I've escalated the issue to TomTom and will wait for their response. The Magellan dock is quite ugly, so I'm really hoping TomTom will get their act together.

Oct 1, 2010 2:28 AM in response to bauer172

YES, I have the old Tom Tom Car Kit and the new iPod Touch 4G: works perfectly when 3 conditions are fulfilled:

A. In your Settings (and this is logical and normal): you have to make absolutely sure that
LOCATION SERVICES is put in "ON".

B. Make sure that you have the latest versions of everything: iOS 4.1 and the latest TomTom app.

C. Make sure you first start the app, select you nav. destination and let it search for a GPS signal, then plugin the carkit (in that order) ensuring that the iPod and the CarKit really make electrical contact (this can be checked with another app such as e.g. Batterydoctor.

There are from time to time some electrical contact issues, but in general it works.

I am a happy user and the next update of TomTom app and iOS 4.2 will be awesome (lots of improvements) Go for it !

Oct 3, 2010 5:34 PM in response to bauer172

I´m extremely disapointed! I bought the new Ipod Touch 4 just because I found the Tom Tom car kit very suitable for me. I asked the person in an Apple store to give me some advice and got the information it would work just fine. Unfortunatly I found the Ipod does not fit properly in the cradle and it seens there is no electrical contact. The Ipod does not see any GPS signal. I spent $80 plus $40 for the apps and now...!!
Is there anyone that could give an advice?? Am I the only one to have this problem?

Ipod Touch 4th generation Windows XP

Oct 7, 2010 1:14 PM in response to Ricardo Ribeiro

Keep trying Ricardo. It really works, although it is true that electrical contact could be better.
So make sure "location services" are "on", follow the order of operations as in my previous post. Make sure that you have the latest versions of everything and push the upper part of the iPod towards the Car Kit, till a battery app such as battery doctor indicates electrical contact. Then reactivate the TomTom app. After 1 min or so you will have navigation. I am using it now every week with the new iPod Touch 4G.

Best regards,

Peter

Oct 7, 2010 1:34 PM in response to PCLL

Peter,

Thanks for your post and reply here.
Are you using any case with your iPod?
I tried with and withou case but didn't get the electrical contact.
I pull it hard on the TOMTOM doc, but still not getting power. With my iPod 3g it works perfectly.

Ricardo, I'm from Brazil too. I let you know any progress I've with it.

Carlos.

iPod Touch 4G and Tomtom car kit for iPod Touch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.