Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay on old Apple TV

Hi. I have a now old apple tv. I was wondering will it support the new ios feature airplay or not? Also will it support the renting tv shows? Thanks.

Apple TV, Other OS

Posted on Sep 11, 2010 3:53 PM

325 replies

Sep 11, 2010 4:10 PM in response to Jayrad

Welcome to the  Discussion Forums

So far as we are told there will be no further major updates for the existing tv, so it looks like a no for airplay.

Renting tv shows on the existing tv has been discussed here previously, I don't think there was a clear consensus of opinion one way or the other, but unless there is some specific reason that  wanted to stop it I don't see why it shouldn't work personally, but could be wrong. After all I would have thought renting a tv show was no different to renting a movie.

Sep 11, 2010 4:32 PM in response to Jayrad

Mine just doesn't work, Airtunes is no longer "available." By that I mean, Airplay is the only option in the preferences (The current Apple TV apparently will not be getting Airplay -- only the new Apple TV).

This business about Apple TV no longer being supported by updates just ***! We deserve adequate support for at least a year.

Airtunes/Airplay cannot be abandoned upon us. (So, I guess, Airtunes is streaming audio while Airplay is streaming audio & video.) Accommodate us with Airplay support through the original Apple TV.

Oct 12, 2010 6:02 PM in response to Jayrad

It appears that older Apple TVs are NOT getting AirPlay. I hadn't noticed there was a rebranding/reengineering until I plugged in my new Apple TV and tried to play music out to other Apple TV as I've been doing for years now.

I guess this means that I'll have to replace my second Apple TV with a new model if I want to retain that functionality. Not really thrilled about that, I must admit.

Nov 22, 2010 1:36 PM in response to Merged Content 1

I agree. The lack of support for 1st generation Apple TVs is particularly galling since the iTunes page claims "AirPlay wireless technology will be arriving inside speakers, AV receivers, and iPod accessories".

Just not their own.

Beyond rapacity, I can't see a single reason for Airplay not to work on Apple TVs which were being sold a few months ago. It streams audio and video already.

Nov 22, 2010 3:49 PM in response to Jayrad

You know I really like Apple products but its pretty pathetic when they don't update something like the old apple tv for something as simple as Airplay. This decision does not in any way make me want to buy the new apple tv just to have airplay on it. Its really a shame and bad marketing. Don't tell me its the hardware either because it should work just fine on both apple tv's.

Nov 22, 2010 6:42 PM in response to solsun

I have Airplay audio working from iTunes to the 1st Gen ATV. It doesn't work from my iPad however. Airplay audio works from BOTH iTunes and IOS devices to the Airport Express without any update required for the Airport Express. Disappointing that it doesn't work from the iPad to the 1st Gen ATV since the protocols for AirTunes to both the Airport Express and the ATV seemed the same.

Nov 22, 2010 10:48 PM in response to Jayrad

Apple - are you listening? I have been a loyal customer back to the original Macintosh SE and with every update I have never felt more left behind than I do now. I paid $400 for an Apple TV a year ago and now I can't use AirPlay.....? ***! Are you going to take care of us 1st generation folks who paved the way for you to make AppleTV2 or leave us behind in the dust? How about at least a discount for us 1st Gen owners if the original hardware can't hack it?

Nov 22, 2010 10:56 PM in response to Jayrad

absolutely agree. if you want people to get annoyed with the products, then apple is going about it the right way. i own a mac, apple tv, iphone, ipod and ipad. surely after spending thousands of dollars on their products and switching from windows so that everything 'just works' apple could keep them working together. None of what i own is more than a year old, and already its becoming obsolete. PATHETIC!!

Nov 23, 2010 1:52 AM in response to solsun

I think they have made some software block in iOS 4.2 to distinguish between airport express and old Apple TV. There is no other reason why this shouldn't work since streaming to airport express still works without any software update.
I agree with a lot of people that this is a cheap trick from Apple to force buying the new Apple TV. But for sure I am not going to do this, since the new Apple can't stream video from my NAS (I have hacked my Apple TV and use XBMC for this)

Airplay on old Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.