Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't pair iPhone via Bluetooth

Hey Guys,

I have a new 11" Air which is incredible but for the life of me I can't get Bluetooth pairing to work with my iPhone 4 so I can tether.

It pairs the device in System Preferences but I try to connect them I get to errors.

If I connect from the MBA I get an out of range error and If I connect it from the iPhone I get a message saying that the device is not supported - and it prompts me to remove the device from the Phone?

Both devices are up-to-date and I have bluetooth working with the iPhone and my MBP.

Tried resetting PRAM but still no luck.

Any ideas?

11" MacBook Air 2GB 64GB SSD, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Nov 12, 2010 2:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2010 10:12 PM

I'm am getting the exact same issue with my new MacBook Air and iPhone 4. Have tried a friends iPhone 4, to see if it was a hardware issue on the phone. But same issue.

Works fine with my MacBook Pro 15", so seem specific to Air.

Have an appointment at Genius bar on Sunday for them to check it out, will let you know if I get a resolution.
44 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2010 10:12 PM in response to Supachicken

I'm am getting the exact same issue with my new MacBook Air and iPhone 4. Have tried a friends iPhone 4, to see if it was a hardware issue on the phone. But same issue.

Works fine with my MacBook Pro 15", so seem specific to Air.

Have an appointment at Genius bar on Sunday for them to check it out, will let you know if I get a resolution.

Dec 23, 2010 4:49 PM in response to Supachicken

When I got my MacBook Air I elected to let Migration Assistant copy all of my data and apps from my previous MacBook. Afterward, I couldn't pair either of my bluetooth mice with the MacBook Air. The bluetooth preferences had been copied from the previous computer and both mice were already showing up on the MacBook Air.

I solved the problem by deleting both bluetooth preference files and rebooting. I was then able to pair my bluetooth mice. I have no idea whether this will work, but it's easy to try. There's one preference file in Home Folder/Library/Preferences. There's another one in BootVolume/Library/Preferences.

Jan 18, 2011 2:03 PM in response to mp00

Hello everyone,

same problem: brand new Macbook Air 11" and Iphone 4 with 4.2.1 and can't connect via BT. I had tried before with a simple Nokia that connected seamlessly with my first generation Macbook (2006), so I assume there's an issue with BT on the Air. I have tried deleting the files Scott was indicating, but still no luck.

Tethering is solved via USB, but it would be nice to be able to use BT as well, for the times I don't have my cable with me and also simply because it's there and it doesn't make sense for it not to work. Has Scott's workaround delivered results for others?

I hope someone at Apple reads this and that they'll solve the issue in a future software update.

Diana

Can't pair iPhone via Bluetooth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.