Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adobe Flash Player...

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone knew when the Adobe Flash Player would be available for the ipad. The reason I want to know is my kids both have ipads but cant play Club Penguin on them due to the flash player not being available.

Any information greatly appreciated...

Nick

imac, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Dec 5, 2010 12:50 AM

42 replies

Dec 5, 2010 3:28 AM in response to comercon

The os on Macs and iPads (plus iPhones and iPods) are different. Basically flash uses a fair amount of resources so would run down the batteries on mobile devices fairly quickly (though some non-Apple smartphones do now support it). If you do a search here you will find a number of threads on the subject, but don't expect flash to be coming to the iPad anytime soon, if ever.

Dec 5, 2010 6:19 AM in response to King_Penguin

Should have done some research.

There are at least 25 tablets on the market running everything from full blown windows to android to blackberry OS dual boot windows and android for between $200 - $1000.

Flash is supported on all android windows and blackberry tablets.

There are also netbooks, and netbook tablets all over the place. These are laptops with touch screens that run windows 7 and have rotateable screens that can flip and fold down over the keyboard to make it into an "ipad" type device.

Windows 7 so far is by far the best touch screen OS. pinch and zoom isn't silky smooth but everything else is. And it's a full blown windows 7 OS which you can seriously do everything on that you can do with a mouse, I have been using one for about a year now to do all my work and everything on, windows works very well as a full os that supports multi touch.

The nice thing about windows 7 also is that gestures work within programs, and windows has a invisible cursor that follows your finger to apply rollovers.

Basically windows works like this...

1 finger dragging selects stuff like a mouse drag.
2 finger dragging scrolls the pad like an ipad
2 fingers pinch and zoom.
2 finger single tap zooms in.

the two finger stuff is great because you don't lose the ability to select stuff or move things around in photoshop with the one finger just like you do with a mouse, but when using two fingers you can scroll around in photoshop like you do with a mouse using the scrollbars.

or you can turn on gestures and it works like an ipad with one finger scrolling.

I have a 23" touch screen that I use as a mobile tablet, it runs windows 7. Soon I will be replacing it with an android / windows dual boot 13" tablet.

Flash and every other web plugin runs great on windows, and android supports flash as well.

Dec 5, 2010 6:46 AM in response to Graham Outterside

I believe they did, steve jobs refused it. So Adobe moved on.

Might have something to do with why it runs excellent on windows and android devices as well as blackberry and runs like crap on a mac, and not supported on ios.

But then the biggest problem with flash on a mac is that Apple will not allow Adobe to use native api's or gpu support. So the whole thing has to be encapsulated inside a "plugin" type layer, and has to work 100% off the cpu.

You could say Apple is doing that to make flash look bad. Or Apple is just super controlling about who gets acces to native api's. Android windows and blackberry don't have a problem with it evn Apple software get's access to their api's.

Apple's refused to use windows native api's for their programs for a long time. Causing mac software to run like crap on pc's. Not because windows blocked the api's Apple just refused to use them. Some say Apple did that to make you buy a mac to use their software.

Bottom line is this is not the first and won't be the last time the Apple spin get's aplied behind the scene to make them money.

You guys can go on all you want about w/e steve jbs says about flash, but anyone who has followed e mac and pc for 10-20 years knows this flashissue has nothng to do with performance. It's 100% money driven.

Dec 5, 2010 6:33 AM in response to GeniusWiz

+"Bottom line is this is not the first and won't be the last time the Apple spin get's aplied behind the scene to make them money."+

Actually, the bottom line is that the iPad does not support Flash and will not support Flash and if Flash is a priority for someone, then that person should purchase a different product. Voicing complaints here will accomplish nothing.

Dec 5, 2010 6:36 AM in response to GeniusWiz

Adobe presented a Beta which didnt work, locked up devices and killed the iPhone dead.

Having owned a Mac for over 20 years I can easily say that it has everything to do with performance.

Why do you care ?

It isn't going to happen as SJ has said so I don't understand why you come to these forums and moan. Nobody here can help you, even the small minority that might agree. We'd gladly help you out on technical issues that you have but I haven't seen one yet.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday.

Dec 5, 2010 8:42 AM in response to GeniusWiz

Thanks for all the replies people.

I did do my reserch as the kids were not into club penguin when I brought the ipads although if they were and i new what I no now I would have brought them macbooks... I have been an apple user for over 20 years myself and always buy mac hardware but I didnt know there was such an issue with flashplayer.

Looks like there might be a couple of ipads on e bay then...

Adobe Flash Player...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.