Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wi-Fi drops after iOS 4.2.1

My goal is more to document the problem than to find a solution. I know Apple probably won't see this. I have posted the bug via the appropriate form. The problem: iPad drops Internet connection with no discernible pattern. It apparently stays connected to the network, as evidenced by the persistent Wi-Fi radio waves symbol in the upper left corner, and as confirmed in Settings>Wi-Fi. Yet, the iPad will occasionally cease connecting to the Net, getting/sending mail, or performing any other tasks on the Net, even though it's apparently still connected to the Wi-Fi. I get the "Safari can't connect to this page..." errors, or blank screens, or emails that send forever.

Here are the solutions I've tried, after which the problem persists: Restored iPad with a backup. Restored as a new iPad with native apps. Upgraded router firmware. Reset router. Reset modem. Reset iPad. Forgot and rejoined network. Reset network settings. Renewed IP lease. Changed to BootP. Changed back to DHCP. Toggled every major router setting (20MHz, QoS, WPS, Eco mode with radio off), G/B only, N only, selected manual channels, always set to WPA2), toggled all settings back to where they were before iPad had problems. Turned off all push and notifications. Wiped off email accounts. Turned fetch to manual. Powered down and powered up iPad. Turned of Cellular. I've run out of stuff to try, and if none of the above have worked, all of which Apple recommends, there's no practical chance anything else will work.

Yes, of course powering down and powering up fixes the problem -- temporarily. But, perhaps after spending some time on a game, or letting it sleep, at some random point, whether it stays actively on, or sleeps, it will again drop the Net, even though it apparently stays connected to Wi-Fi. It's better when you're showing off the iPad if you don't have to tell some one "Wait, I have to restart it before I can get the Internet working again."

You can say that the problem is not with iOS 4.2, but, trust me, I'll be getting the last laugh there. I wish it were something else. I wish there were one piece of evidence that suggested it wasn't iOS 4.2, but there isn't. If a brand new car works perfectly for two months, you take it in to a shop one day to get a bunch of modifications done, and the next day it has a problem, logic says you don't blame the road. The road is just the road. I've been driving the iPad on the same road. And you can't blame the driver who's just using the car as instructed. I know exactly what's causing the Wi-Fi drops, well, at least I know it has something to do with iOS 4.2. My hope is that Apple addresses it in the next update.

If someone has a solution I haven't tried and thinks it will work, by all means feel free to post it. There's a chance though that I already did try it and forgot to list it, but go ahead. But I won't be getting a new router. It's fairly new and has served me well with other devices and doesn't need replacing.

If anyone else has this problem, report it to Apple so it may put out a fix. I love Apple, and I love the iPad. But I hope Apple fixes this issue. It's the only one I've experienced with iPad so far. It's a fantastic device.

Intel, custom built, Windows Vista

Posted on Dec 16, 2010 7:05 PM

67 replies

Dec 17, 2010 12:10 PM in response to phoenixjn

A couple of things to try before you go postal on it...

1. Are you set to your ISP's DNS service? A balky DNS server from your ISP could it make it look like your connection has dropped. OpenDNS or Google DNS services are much better. Open up your router controls and plug in the new IP addresses into the appropriate field.

2. When it has this problem, tap Settings > WiFi > and then click the blue ">" next to your network name. Does your settings look OK? - i.e. your device address doesn't start with 169.x.x.x?

If #2 is the case, then your router is your problem. Reboot it and see if the problem persists. If it does, time to look for a new one.

Dec 17, 2010 12:44 PM in response to phoenixjn

This posting is right on the money. My original IPAD running on v 3 OS was running beautifully. I was regailing my friends with how wonderful the IPAD was right up to the point that I applied the new OS upgrade. Within minutes I was getting the familiar "Safari cannot connect to the server...." message. I had a moan to Apple in the US and they admitted it was a known problem. Cutting a very long story short I eventually managed to find an authorised repairer in Auckland and they agreed to replace the IPAD (but the only OS they could provide was 4.2). So brought it home and sure enough within half an hour... same old problem.

So you would think the problem must be with my network... well if it is these questions spring to mind:-

1 - If it is my network, why was everything working perfectly just prior to the OS upgrade
2 - Why does it seem there are many others out there experiencing exactly the same problem.
3 - Why do none of the 4 other computers on my network not experience any of the same problems (and I have 2 teenage sons who would be very quick to tell me if they lost their internet!)

I have tried all the things that have been suggested, even the real bizarre one of turning the brightness up! How that could possibly improve my Internet browsing capabilities I have no idea but I am so desperate I would stand on one leg whistling waltzing matilda if I thought it would permanently solve the problem.

My router is very new and has the latest firmware.

Like the previous poster, I expect nothing to come from sitting here wasting my time to write down my experience but I just hope that in my wildest dreams that Apple do read some of these forums. Ignore your customers at your peril Apple. Come clean on your web site. At least tell us that you accept there is a problem and that you will work on a solution. There is nothing worse than being told nothing!

If anyone out there thinks they might have a credible solution I would love to hear from you. Apple..... is anybody out there??????????????????

Dec 17, 2010 2:23 PM in response to phoenixjn

I face this WiFi problem also, it is definitely this iOS 4.2.1 which causes the problems
It is incredible that it is not possible to downgrade to the older iOS 3.x for my authorized Apple Dealer.
They checked my iPad - their statement: No hardware defect, we can't do anything to help. You may ask Apple. I'm really disappointed and don't accept this snotty answer.

I also support his suggestion to report your problem to Apple, otherwise they may think everything is ok.

Dec 20, 2010 11:38 AM in response to phoenixjn

I'm researching the same problem as the OP. On my linux router I can see that when this problem occurs the router is trying to send an arp message to find the mac address of the iPad's IP address. The iPad does not respond to this arp message. In the spirit of trying anything I updated WPA group key update timer to never (0 on my device). If you intend to experiment do not set your timer below 300 seconds. This timer controls how often the broadcast/multicast traffic key is changed. ARP (in this case) is broadcast. After I set the timer to 0 I have not seen this problem. I have just tried this for half a day so far, but with the previous settings I had the timeout problem approx every half hour.

My theory is that the re-keying mechanism in ios421 is faulty. If you have the opportunity to modify the "Group key update timer" or whatever it is called on your device, please try to do so, and come back here with your results.

If that parameter is not available to configure on you wireless access point try to set the encryption to WEP or disable encryption long enough that you feel comfortable that the issue is not there anymore. The group key timer is only in use on WPA (both tkip and aes).

Dec 20, 2010 1:31 PM in response to phoenixjn

Yep, this is how the iPad wi-fi behaves. Here's your 1 piece of evidence that the new OS is not the root cause: Mine has done this from day one with OS3. It was actually on its worst behavior when I demo'd it at the Apple store. I have no doubt that in your case the new OS install triggered this. Hopefully this will give Apple some clues to improve this in the future. As you stated, the wi-fi connection still appears strong and the network connection is still there when the unit flakes out.

Dec 21, 2010 6:54 AM in response to Jim Newhouser1

I have run with group key timer = 0 for two days, and on two separate devices (colleague with similar setup). We do not see the problem anymore. I'm feeling pretty confident that we found the issue. Or at least a issue. May be multiple wlan bugs.

Still would be nice if others could verify the results on different hardware.

Dec 22, 2010 11:52 AM in response to horseneck

In my case there needed to be low/no traffic for a while. The routers arp table needed to time out and the router to start arp'ing for the iPads mac address.

Dec 23, 2010 6:10 AM in response to Community User

I'm using a Trendnet TEW-637-AP for 'n' connectivity which worked fine prior to the 4.2.1 upgrade. After the upgrade I would loose Wi-Fi access consistently when switching from the Kindle App back to Safari. Connecting directly to my Actiontech g (WEP) router worked fine. Setting the Trendnet to WEP also fixed the problem. After seeing this note I tried the key timer = 0 on the Trendnet and so far I have not seen any Wi-Fi issues with WPA2 security..

Dec 23, 2010 4:46 PM in response to phoenixjn

Just to document this problem, I will also post here. I started having this problem with the WiFi connection on my iPad after the iOS 4 upgrade it seems. I have never had this problem with the previous version (3.3?) I have started noticing it more since I cancelled my cellular subscription.

Weird thing is that my iPhone 4 does NOT have this problem even though it is also running iOS 4 (I think).

My router is a cheapo trendnet TEW432BRP, but none of the other machines on my network (at least 1 notebook and the iPhone 4) have this problem. I'm using WPA+PSK on my router, however it doesn't have the option to set the ARP setting to 0 as some other users suggested after getting positive results.

I don't really want to use WEP as that is very insecure. I wish Apple would listen to our pleas and send out a "fix" in a minor update soon so this problem is taken care of.

The workaround for now is to reboot the iPad or stop start the WiFi connection and hope it recognizes the connection. Strangely enough, the wifi signal strength stays at full power throughout these "episodes".

I do not agree with the posters who are saying it is a router problem. This problem started after the ios 4 upgrade. I wish the vendor would stop pretending their products are holy cows which can have nothing whatsoever wrong with them.

Dec 24, 2010 11:59 PM in response to phoenixjn

I'm seeing the same problems on my new iPad. Bought a 64 GB wifi ipad this Tuesday and updated to 4.2.1.
I'm seeing two issues -
1. iPad fails to connect internet after waking up from sleep. This happens even though wifi is connected and it shows 3 wifi bars.
2. I'm losing internet connection randomly in the middle of browsing or checking emails.

Both the problems will go away once i restart or go to settings and turn wifi off\on.

All my other devices are work fine with the router (3 laptops and 2 smart phones). So, there is a problem with the ipad and not the router.

I checked to see if I have any "Group Update time value" setting in my Belkin N+ wireless router (F5D8235-4) but found none 😟
Currently, i have turned to WEP instead of WPA-PSK security setting as suggested in this discussion. I will see how this goes and hopefully happle comes out with a fix soon.

Wi-Fi drops after iOS 4.2.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.