Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't buy free apps with an account without a creditcard?

I have two accounts. One has a creditcard attached, which I use for business purposes. The other account hasn't a creditcard attached an has an iTunes Gift Card credit on it. With that second account it won't let me purchase free apps.

Anyone else the same problem?

MacBook Pro 15" 2.53Ghz, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Jan 6, 2011 7:51 AM

43 replies

Jan 6, 2011 9:06 AM in response to Chantal C

Chantal C wrote:
FYI I found a workaround. Changed the payment method to "clickandbuy". Now when I purchase a free app, I had to agree with the new terms. After that it installed fine.

Where exactly did you change the payment method? I don't see that option anywhere, neither on iTunes nor the Mac App Store.

Jan 6, 2011 9:30 AM in response to Chantal C

I don't see that option. I see up to PayPal and that's it. In iTunes I can see all the payment methods and then "None", which is selected. But in the Mac App Store I don't see neither "Click and Buy" nor "None" as payment methods.

How do I get it to appear? Do I need to create a new Apple account or something?

Jan 6, 2011 10:22 AM in response to Chantal C

I'm hoping this is just a glitch, but I'm losing trust in Apple if this is their new policy. It's stupid you need a credit card just to buy apps or download free ones, even if you have more than enough credit collected using gift cards. If Apple really wants to demand from their users that they have an online payment method available, let them use PayPal. A PayPal account is free and set up in a matter of minutes.

Mar 23, 2011 8:30 PM in response to Chantal C

yes my problem is the same. I originally set up my Appl ID account but when I tried to download free apps it said I have not used the Ap store, something like that. Then It made me accept the terms of agreement, then it took me to entering a credit card or gift card number. There is no "opt out" or select "non" for payment. I've tried and tried and can not download anything without having to enter some sort of payment. This is crazy. Why should I have to add either of these payment options if it is a free AP. I think they want you to put it on because you will then be more Apt to buy things at regular price.

Can't buy free apps with an account without a creditcard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.