Previous 1 2 3 Next 43 Replies Latest reply: Dec 30, 2015 9:02 PM by JMT2
Daniel Hanke Level 1 Level 1
Hi,

i currently wonder how to delete a specific item from the sidebar. The Problem is: the folder does not exists on the FileSystem anymore, therefore i cannot click it. I can drag it around, reorder the sidebar, but i cannot move it out of the finder window.

is there any plist file or something helping me to remove this folder?

Thanks in advance!

iMac i7, Mac OS X (10.6.7)
  • andre bras Level 1 Level 1
    It happened to me with the dropbox folder alias.... it was a pain to discover how to remove it /___sbsstatic___/migration-images/migration-img-not-avail.png/___sbsstatic___/m igration-images/migration-img-not-avail.png/___sbsstatic___/migration-images/mig ration-img-not-avail.png

#1 Go to "/Users/<your username>/Library/Preferences/" folder
    #2 Open "com.apple.sidebar.plist"
    #3 Find the undesired item and remove it.

http://imgur.com/XyZtb

I think that you have to log off so the changes can take effect (can't remember) /___sbsstatic___/migration-images/migration-img-not-avail.png
  • Daniel Hanke Level 1 Level 1
    ah Thanks,

did not believe that i really would have to re-login to make changes work!

restarting finder alone did not solve it!

Thanks a lot!
  • Topper Level 1 Level 1
    Hold down the "Command" key and drag off the sidebar.
  • jskdoo23 Level 1 Level 1
    Ah... Thanks so much. Holding the command key to drag items off the sidebar must be new? Thanks again!
  • littlerocket Level 1 Level 1
    What in the world, I thought I surely screwed my permissions up or something... Is this a new default?

Message was edited by: littlerocket
  • ahab50 Level 1 Level 1
    Thanks so much! I had the same problem that was driving me crazy, and your fix worked like a charm. I didn't have to log out, but I did have to restart my Mac. I haven't tried the Command key and drag solution, but it's useful to know. I miss just being able to drag a folder off the sidebar. Thanks again.
  • ahab50 Level 1 Level 1
    I just found another way to remove folders from the sidebar. Just right click on the sidebar folder you want to remove and select "Remove from Sidebar".
  • mi56 Level 1 Level 1
    Thanks a lot ! I was about to edit "com.apple.sidebarlists.plist".
    Command+drag off the sidebar, it has sorted out my three month old pain. A great tip !
  • Panglos Level 1 Level 1
    Could have sworn I'd tried this. What I resorted to was right-clicking and selecting "Remove from Sidebar," which will also work.
  • cavenewt Level 2 Level 2
    jskdoo23 wrote:
    Holding the command key to drag items off the sidebar must be new?

New in 10.6.7, but the menubar and Finder window toolbars have been that way all along.
  • kr and cr Level 1 Level 1

Thank you!  This worked for me.

Can you provide a brief explanation of why this worked?  I have been trying to remove the darn folder for weeks with no luck.

Thanks again!

• bootareen Level 1 Level 1

Yeah, command + drag was to remove Finder windows from toolbars, but I guess this is new for Finder sidebars. This makes more sense because I always found myself accidentally dragging things off my sidebar.

Right click to remove sidebar items doesn't seem to work if the original folder no longer exists. In that case, only the plist and command + drag method will work.

• Vincent_McA Level 1 Level 1

Had the same issue with a folder that got stuck in my sidebar, with no right-click option displaying. I tried removing preference files, etc.

Command + click and drag.

Simple.

• joanell Level 1 Level 1

Thank you have been trying for ages to get rid of this file from the sidebar. This was so simple and it worked ;-)

Previous 1 2 3 Next